Why does my 14 mo. old choke on everything?

She has a mouth full of teeth, but if you give her something the least bit too big or too hard she chokes on occasion. I wouldn't worry, but I don't recall my older two girls being this way. She does have a tendency to cram her mouth full, but sometimes chokes even when she doesn't.

tnwellnessmom

Asked by tnwellnessmom at 11:14 AM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Health

• Take her to an ENT and make sure everything is ok. I do that bc I have a small esophagus.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:18 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Omg if you get an answer to this i will be so happy, my little girl is 21 months old now and she is the same way and has been since she started solids. I have to watch her like a hawk and make her slow down, but i wonder if it is something else.
    fulldaymom

Answer by fulldaymom at 11:20 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• My kids also choked on everything. Even when my daughter was close to 3, I remember cringing when she ate in public, knowing that public choking (usually followed by vomiting) was coming. She choked and vomited in so many restaurants. Finally she outgrew it around 3. She did have reflux as a baby so I think that was a reason.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:20 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• My son was the same way, can't wait to eat.

So I started to limit his food on his plate, and add more when needed. I think it actually helped him to eat slower.

My girls where not that way but my son can pack it in.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:23 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• My son did that due to his autism. He didn't have the ability to maneuver the food around in his mouth,and he had severe issues with textures.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:25 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I would check with his doc about her throat as a pp suggested, then work backwards from there. Limilt food, small pieces, and it helps my son to have a sippy of plain water. He likes a drink after a few bits(like his aunt lol) and thats helped alot. for my son, its simply not taking the time to chew the food properly or enough. when he would chew a piece really well and swallow without choking, I made a big deal about what a "nice" eater he was, and he liked that. good luck,t hat must be scarey.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:26 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Wow! Great advice everybody. I forgot to mention the vomiting. She did that one time after she choked trying to cram several peices of kiwi down at once. SCARED ME TO DEATH! Thanks so much everybody!!!
    tnwellnessmom

Answer by tnwellnessmom at 11:33 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Some kids just have sensative gag reflex. I owuld see if certain food do it more then others. Def limit the amount that is givin if you have "chimpmunker" thats what I call it whne they stuff the mouth full(my son was one!!! but he never choked...lucky..still had to watch the amount I would give at a time)
    Good Luck
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:35 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I myself am a life long choker. I have always choked on water and spit and air. Everyone laughs now, but sometimes it hurts. I recently had bronchitis, and then soon after an allergic reaction that resulted in a partially restricted airway. this was two weeks of no solid foods and i had to miss some work. Take the little one to an ENT to get everything cleared. Better safe than sorry!
    dani-doll

Answer by dani-doll at 12:15 PM on Jun. 9, 2010