How to handle an online SCAM?

My DH put his job application online. someone contacted him. I dont know all that was said but today DH called & said Id be getting a package in the mail, he said not to open it..
My DH contacted the guy this morning & said he wanted nothing to do with him, but the guy send a message saying "You will recieve a package in the mail, cash the check & take out x amount of dollars"

The package just got here.... What do I do now? Just return it? Throw it away? Turn it in to authorities (who?!)?
NO, Im not cashing the check or anything stupid like that!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• It's so scary trying to submit a Resume anymore.  I will not send a Resume to any address that I do not know, no blind box ads!   When I respond to a post on Craiglist or anywhere else, unless all the company information is included, I ask for it.  Please do not send Resumes out. 

Anonymous

• turn it in to the authorities and tell them the whole story .. better to be safe than sorry later when they somehow find out and come to u asking questions
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 11:31 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• agree with cookie.. give them the number to the guy too... but your hubby shouldnt have given your address either that kinda worries me..now this guy knows where you live!
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 11:42 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• You won't be in trouble, just turn the whole thing over to authorities and hopefully it will help stop the criminals from preying on someone else.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 11:59 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• ftc.gov     BBB

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 1:16 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• http://www.fraud.org/
    tomib

Answer by tomib at 3:40 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• you can also try your police dept fraud division
    tomib

Answer by tomib at 3:42 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I'd turn in it to someone. Those guys are all crooks, and if they can track him down they will arrest them. Doing that is hard though...but at least you tried before they attempt to scam someone else.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 3:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• call your local PD...the public at large needs to be alerted..right? someone's gotta do it.
    daughterofearth

Answer by daughterofearth at 4:38 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Well ...... DH just threw the stuff away & is ignoring the guy...
    Anonymous