Frugal mommies, I need lunch ideas for my toddlers.

My toddlers are picky and seem to eat the same thing over and over. I need to save money on our grocery bill and am looking for frugal lunch ideas for my toddlers. Thanks, ladies.

ThrivingMom

Asked by ThrivingMom at 11:47 AM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Snacks for my kids is what ever is on sale. My kids are picky too at least 2 are so I try to get something they enjoy and something the other two enjoy.

if it is carrots then carrots w/ ranch dressing. If it is bananas guess what bananas it is, yogurts-frozen now, like a icey-they have lots of coupons for that.

Fridays is special treat days, like a bag of low fat cookies, chips or something they really enjoy. They earn it weekly,when dad packs there lunch it is chips. :( Go figure.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:00 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• never underestimate the amazing snack possibilities in the simple things. Grape tomatoes, crackers, crackers with peanut butter, shredded carrots, block of cheese cut up, an apple cut up (have them help you this is fun!). Wheat tortillas rolled with cheap lunch meat. Potatoes cubed, cooked ahead of time and now are just a nice crisp snack. Grapes! Fruit salad (you buy the fruit seperately, those premade things are WAY too pricey). bread, toasted bread. pancake pieces cooked into funny shapes and characters. endless possibilities...gl!!
    Anonymous

• I cut up cheese, sandwich meat, and veggies, and serve it with some sort of dip. I let them each have a toothpick to stab the food and dip it. This seems to work really well. We also do grapes and other fruits with vanilla yogurt as a dip. They love stabbing and dipping! You just have to watch and make sure the toothpicks go into the trash when the meal is done. I usually also add a few crackers.
    Anonymous

• Make it fun - something to dip it in, fun shapes, etc. I cut bread into fun shapes with a cookie cutter and make PBJs with it. Or I will make the sandwich and have a mini geometry lesson about making it into 2 rectangles, or 1 rectangle and 2 long skinny triangles, etc - I include Felipe in food prep a lot, as in this example. He also loves "toothpick lunch" - a lunch with everything cut up, and he uses toothpicks to eat it, and some of it he dips into something else. Usually it's just apples and cheese on toothpicks, and tortilla chips. A good apple-dipping-sauce is vanilla yogurt and peanut butter - he loves to help me make that too.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 12:33 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• chef boyardee ravioli with all or most of the sauce washed off w/ a veggie. pizza crackers: saltine w/ sauce and cheese and peperoni. Sandwiches: cream cheese and jam, PB and apple sauce, PB and marshmallow fluff w/ swt potato fries. fruit and Ham and cheese muffins: you can google that. grilled cheese and fruit. Left overs from dinner. spaghetti. tuna noodles: noodles, mayo, peas, tuna. (also good with chicken) fruit Popsicle for side dishes: in a Popsicle tray put frozen fruit in to the top and fill in the spaces with apple juice. smoothies (we like) strawberry, banana, yogurt, PB and kale.( taste PB&J and you can't taste the kale at all) serve with cheese and crackers

I know not every choice on this list is super duper healthy but everything in moderation is a go at my house.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:06 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• shells & cheese with tuna or hotdogs in it with a side of applesauce is yummy :) Also making goulash is inexpensive and very good.
    ants on a log...aka celery with peanut butter on it sprinkled with raisins
    saralouise

Answer by saralouise at 9:57 PM on Jun. 8, 2010