HELP! My 2 yr old won't take his medicine, he keeps spitting it all over!!!!

Girls I need help! My baby has strep and is refusing his medicine. I put it in his mouth and he spits it out all over me. The pharmacy said it might taste bad and they flavored it to make it more palatable. But that isn't helping.
Since he is so little, there is no bribing him... I tried. He is also refusing all drinks, so I can not even mix it into a drink. He also has a fever and is now refusing the motrin and tylenol too.
What do I do?

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 12:04 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• If you can, put all the meds in the syringe at once so you only need to squirt once. Sit him on your lap with one arm around his back and pinch his nose with that hand. Tilt him back and squirt it in as soon as he opens his mouth then blow gently on his face. He will reflexivly close his mouth and swallow. Then offer him his favorite drink to swish and spit to get the taste out of his mouth. Kiwi was on heart meds her whole life and she would sometimes cause problems taking them. Her cardiologist and ped. both told us to do it this way.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:18 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• It is a choking hazard, but, the need for medicine outweighs that i think. lay him on the floor, straddle him, hold his head up, point the syringe dropper into the back side of his mouth...immediately close his mouth, blow in his face hard and massage his throat. He will swallow it...he might cough for a sec, but, he will be fine. That is absolutely the only way to get some medicines down a 2 year old.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:07 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I hated that, you should let the pediatrician teach you how to do it.

Yes it is a battle especially at that age, I would have to restrain my daughter and force her to take it.

I would hold her down, pinch her nose, omg, I hated it, but the doctor taught me that way. Good luck!!! I sure in the heck don't miss it.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I find that my kids did better when I put it in the measuring cup and they drank it themselves. My daughter has to have the medicine in one hand and a cup of water in the other. She goes back and forth taking a small sip out of each. He's old enough to bribe! I'm unfortunately the queen of bribing. Tell him, "quick, take it and then we'll watch Sponge Bob!" "Take it and then we'll finger paint." Something great that you usually don't do. Good luck!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:13 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• have you tried mixing it in as little apple sauce, yogurt or pudding?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:14 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Yep the moms trained by peds got it right. If your child will drink, try Hawaiian Punch. My kids used to throw a fit, but I served up Hawaiian Punch without telling them its medicine time and they drank it right up. no complaints.
    Anonymous

• i remember that stage, once i had to take sean to the emerg. and have 3 nurses hold him down just for a TBSp of Tylenol!!!! sometimes it works to mix it with a strong flavored but yummy drink in a sippy cup, it takes awhile but eventualy it goes down. never, ever, let them see you put it in though!!!
    daughterofearth

Answer by daughterofearth at 4:13 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• OH YEAH!!!! if he is refusing liquids get him to a doctor right away, or you'll have dehydration to deal with as well. no good.
    daughterofearth

Answer by daughterofearth at 4:14 PM on Jun. 8, 2010