Help! Need to give 3yr old Amoxicillin and its just not happening....

He has an ear infection and refuses to take this. I had it flavored -tastes just as yucky, IMO. Tried hiding it in his juice. worked last night but not today. Waiting to hear from the Dr. on other alternatives....
Any suggestions out there!

jams63

Asked by jams63 at 12:18 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• "It is a choking hazard, but, the need for medicine outweighs that i think. lay him on the floor, straddle him, hold his head up, point the syringe dropper into the back side of his mouth...immediately close his mouth, blow in his face hard and massage his throat. He will swallow it...he might cough for a sec, but, he will be fine. That is absolutely the only way to get some medicines down a 2 year old."

I just posted this on another question. HTH. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:21 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Amox tastes like bubblegum. I can't imagine a kid that doesn't like it. Unless it is augmentin which is amox/clavulanate--that tastes horrible. If my DD doesn't comply I pin her to the floor and put it in her mouth. I know it may sound harsh but you have to be the parent and in order to do that you have to get the med into them. I wish you luck and BTW most ear infections are viral about 90% and they will clear themselves up in a few days.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:21 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• yeah listen to Braidensmyson good advice some times you just have to be a little rough with kids to take their medicine bc if u don't they will not take. remember you are the parent.
    Anonymous

• So i just hold her nose closed and squeeze the dropper into her mouth. She has to swallow cuz she fights and it happens fine. After three or four times she takes it better. but that is her. Also i have someone help hold her. cuz she is a wild one
    smilelovesmile

Answer by smilelovesmile at 12:24 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I just had to give my 3.5 yr old amoxicilin last week for scarlet fever. I had to bribe her. She took it 2 times a day and her favorite treat is marshmallows. I gave her a marshmallow every time she took her medicine. I figured eating a sweet two times a day for 10 days wasn't the end of the world. When she'd throw a fit saying she wouldn't drink her medicine I'd remind her she'd get a marshmallow and then she'd drink it up!
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Sometimes letting him drink it out of a special little cup, or dropper helps. It depends on his mood and on the medicine. I try not to make a big deal about it because I don't want him to dread taking meds. Just experiment and find what works. I've had to resort to bribing with candy, but as long as he gets the meds in him I think it's worth it.
    Anonymous

• Honestly the meds are to treat the parent no the kid when it comes to ear infections. 90% of Ear infections are viral so meds do nothing but make the parent feel like they are doing something or like the doctor did something. Most ear infections run there course with in 5 days so it looks like the meds worked. Meds are only necessary when the symptoms last loger than 5-7 days. Call your ped and ask them if the meds are necessary for a secondary infection. If not then ask is you truly need to continue them.
    Anonymous

• Spoke to the Dr and we're going to re-evaluate his ear thing. He never complained about his ear but we had gone for a cough that was hanging around for a week. Thought at first it was a cold, then perhaps allergies-the air has been bad where we are in NW NJ for the last week or so. I was more concerned with the cough. He said his throat hurt the other day and a child he was playing with last week was diagnosed with Strep.
    Also- I have tried bribes: Swedish Fish. Nope- not working. I liken this to giving medicine to the cats. He had it when he was much younger and I think we put it in his juice. I think now its a much higher dose so it "shines" through the mask of juice.
    jams63

Answer by jams63 at 4:06 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• chocolate pudding hides almost any thing. just don't let him see you do it. lol. I agree though ear infections are pretty much always gonna clear up on their own. My ped doesn't even prescribe anything but if they suspect strep then I guess he needs them.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:50 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• We are in the same boat right at this moment. My son just had his tonsils out this morning and he does not want his antibiotic or his pain medication. What works for us in a time consuming process, but it does work. We give my three year old a warning. We say, "In five minutes daddy is going to come in and give you your medicine to help your body feel better." Then in four minutes I repeat the same thing. In three. In two. In one. Then I say, "Okay, here comes daddy and I am going to hold you. Daddy is sitting on the bed and you will be ready in five seconds...1, 2, 3,4, 5. Alright let's take our good medicine." All done in a calm voice. He does it. We also do "talks" where we sat on the floor and we gave him the choice of Mama, Daddy, or him to give the medication. He would choose him and he put it in his mouth. We do it when he is ready. It is a process but it works better than chasing him, yelling, or

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2010