I'm not one of those moms who

always use non-chemical products or go organic for almost everything...but I am also not ok with my children destroying trees and I do expect them to try to do their part to help our planet and not hurt our ecosystem. Well, yesterday I posted about how the cops come to my door and it seem that my children as well as other kids in the neighborhood peeled a tree literally of it's entire bark. I was surprised at how many mom's joked and didn't seem to think is was that serious and were more concerned about how I spelled ecosystem (echo). I know a tree back in our day wasn't that important, but know what we know now in today's world...how would you handle this if it were your child? would you be disappointed or mad? what could they do as a consequence for what they did? They did understand what they did was wrong and they understood why? They told the cop who came to our door.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes I would be very upset. It is disrespectful and destructive for no apparent reason. I would make my kid plant a couple new trees or better yet, go and weed someone's lawn for free since they love destroying nature so much. That will teach them.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:41 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Yes I'd be upset. I'd make my child do enough chores to purchase a small tree or shrub and then makee them help plant it.
    Anonymous

• I completely agree with danielp, I would be dissapointed on my kids and as a punishment I would make them plant something, or go to our community park and clean it up.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 12:44 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• i commented yesterday but i didnt notice you metion anything back as to if you had told them how important the trees bark was. You shouldnt punish them if you did not tell them this.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:46 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• My brother did that when he was a kind. used the back of a hammer and chipped and pulled at it til it had a huge bare pot and was smooth. He was curious and just being a boy but my parents made him water it everyday for a month to help it "heal" make it alesson for your kids.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:47 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• My children are aware that God made all things, adn if we want to keep them around we need to care for them! I tell them how man was ut on Earth to protect plants and animals! Good luck, and PS I love the ECHOsystem too! LOL Dont let people get to you!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:50 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I'd be pretty upset; my kid would be planting a new tree and caring for the one they mutilated. Especially if they knew it was wrong and harmful to the tree and still did it. If it were me, I *might* even go so far as to have them learn about conservation and what happens to trees when their bark is stripped etc, then I *might* (depending on age) have them do some community service like cleaning up a park over the summer.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:14 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Yeah my kid would be out planting some new trees and flowers.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:20 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Well, I don't think its the best thing for kids to do. But have you ever absent mindly tore the bark off a tree? If your bored, its addicting,LOL. I bet these kids got so into the action of it that before they realized what they were doing, they were standing before a naked tree,LOL. I would have the children work together to plant a new baby tree and take care of it as it grows.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:24 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Thanks ladies, it's nice to know that other mom's feel the same way as I do. It's not the most terrible thing to do, as one mom pointed out on my last post that "at least they didn't kill a cat" ! Wow....anyway, I think planting a tree is a great idea, it is an open space park with trails and a park w/playground for the kids. I do want them to know that what they did was wrong as if they didn't already know that...but planting a tree and taking care of it should help them to understand even more. They are 11, 11, and 13 years old, not young children they completely understood so, I am not falling for the " got so into the action of it" kimberlyinberea.
    Anonymous