At home summer activities for school age kids on summer break??Anyone have some cool ideas to share?

Tomorrow is the last day of school for my 10 year old son. I will have him all summer and a couple other school aged boys as well. Other than letting them run around with squirt guns and water balloons and digging for bugs what kind of projects or activities can I have them do at home?
Going anywhere with all of them is not an option right now..I'd have to have a van or something to be able to do that.
Any ideas is appreciated! Thankyou moms! :)

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 12:49 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• My 10 year olds favorite thing is playing basketball - he'll play outside for hours! I've seen some people wanting to get rid of bball goals on freecycle, or you could probably get one cheap off of craigslist if your son likes bball (and you have some way to transport it!).

Answer by missanc at 1:44 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• Um our activities includ my kids going outside to play! lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:59 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Yep, ours, too. My kids have bikes, neighborhood friends, chalk, jump ropes and other outdoor stuff (along with our swimming pool) and they are outside. I don't entertain them. When it's raining (like today) they watch TV and color.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:51 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I like to fill out a paper with all my kids favorite activities, and when they inevidibly come to me with the "I'm bored" phrase,I ask what they have not checked off on their lists yet. Age appropriate of course and it makes the children feel more in control of their holiday.
    For my 10 year old his list this year is biking...skateboarding..chalk...color pictures with mom...make rice krispies squares with mom...walk the dog for mom....computer time....nintendo time...etc.
    momof4kids257

Answer by momof4kids257 at 12:28 PM on Jun. 9, 2010