Wedding cake tastings

My husband and I are getting our marriage blessed in the Church next year since we were unable to before because of deployments. We live in Hawai'i but the ceremony will be in VA. All of the money we can save is going to the wedding- not the $1,000 per person plane ticket to fly home to taste cakes and caterers. I really want to but it is just not feasible. If you tasted different cakes did they taste differently from bakery to bakery? If you didn't taste your cake were you nervous? Is there anyway your bakery was able to work with you to make you feel comfortable? My mom is going to go taste them and we have the same taste I am noticing ...but still it isn't me :( What flavor did you decide on? Thanks ladies.

katie23

Asked by katie23 at 12:51 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• What part are you in VA? I am in Richmond - and I suggest Coldstone Creamery.
    Anonymous

• I think you're making too big of a deal out of the cake. Use a good bakery with nothing but positive reviews.

Our cake was itallian cream and it was wonderful. Now nearly 12 years later, people still talk about how great our cake was. Itallian cream has a cream cheese frosting though, so it isn't a white cake, it is slightly off white. When considering what cake you want, you'll have to decide whether you want your cake to be true white or not, because that will limit your flavor options.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:06 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I had carrot cake. My sister in law had it for our shower cake too. It was delish. Don't worry, go with a good bakery. You can get a cheaper flight from Hawaii to Va than a thousand bucks. Check around my husband goes out to see clients all the time. So try to save a little on the flights. Good luck and don't worry so much.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 1:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• We didn't get to have a church wedding, either, and plan to in 2 1/2 years on our 20th anniversary.
    Since we have never had a 'wedding' I can't answer your question, but I would assume that each bakery is different with wedding cakes, just as they are with their breads and other everyday sweets.

I wish you all the best for a blessed re-wedding! Congratulations!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 1:57 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• PS.....Where in VA? I live in northern VA. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 1:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I honeslty never tasted the cake, and I hate to say it but half your guests wont either lol. Cake has kinda become an old fashioned tradition. if you are worried about guests tasting a cake that isnt great you can always do something different. you can get a small personal cake that is just for you and your groom to cut basically and then have a sweets table for your desert instead of a cake. there are many options out there. if you want anymore ideas just let me know!! btw Im a wedding planner =) so I love helping with this stuff
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 2:44 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Since you can't be there to taste the cake yourself, I would go with a traditional flavor, like chocolate or marble. The icing something traditional/common as well. I was VERY picky about my cake for my wedding, it was the ONE thing I wanted to be GREAT!
    I have been to other weddings were the cake was gross and one that it was almost on par with mine! Lol!
    Sadly, no one is going to care about the cake, you are the only one that is going to remember it.
    Someone above suggested doing varies little desserts, I knew a girl that did a brownie bar!
    Wistful

Answer by Wistful at 4:37 PM on Jun. 8, 2010