3 year old was potty trained. Now she has reversed completely and will not use the toilet.

How can I get her back on track? Her father is yelling at her after every accident and it is just making it worse. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yelling at the child isn't going to do anything but scare her. I would advise him not to do that. She will get back on track. It happens with a lot of kids. My niece is going through the same thing. I know its annoying but I was watching Dr. Phil and eating and going to the bathroom is the only things that they think they have control over, he said it was common to do this. Good luck mama. She probably feels like that is the only thing that she has a say so in so my advise is to try and give her more options such as which panties she wants and when she pees in them tell her she has to throw them away and when she isn't looking get them out and wash them. I have known this to work. Good luck though.
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 1:08 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Do you know what caused her to stop using the potty? Maybe if you can find out why she stopped it can help you figure out a way to get her back on the potty. I agree that yelling at her is not a good way to handle it, it will scare her and possibly make her resist using the potty even more. It could be a control thing. Is there anything new or a big change in her life? If so she may feel like she has no control overthat, and the potty issue is her way of being in control- she controls when/if she pottys. Have you tried a reward system? Good luck
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:51 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Don't yell. My 3 yo started having lots of accidents, and not getting herself on the potty. I was pregnant and since had the baby. That change could have gotten to her. We both tell her, every time she has an accident she wears a pull up. She does NOT like that at all, and was very upset when we put one on her last month. She earned her undies back by going potty on her own. We keep reminding her to use the potty on her own, for an accident will get the pull ups back. So far it's worked well.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 5:12 PM on Jun. 8, 2010