4 hour flight....with a 1 year old?

Im going out of state for a few days at the end of this month. Our flight is 4 hours. My daughter is 16 months. What are ways to keep her entertained? Or what is the best thing to do do to keep her from going crazy?

Jennyv143

Asked by Jennyv143 at 12:59 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Travel

• Id like to know as well, Im going on a 4 hour flight with a two year old in about a month. Would like to hear some ways to keep him busy lol
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 1:04 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Portable DVD Player! Snacks! HOpefully the flight is during naptime, that has always worked well for us. New toys and books that she has never seen before will keep her occupied.
    Anonymous

• DVD player, books, and small toys. BE AWARE that whatever you take, they will search, so don't overdo it (it is HORRIBLE!) We were on our way back from Vegas and my DD was sleeping while they were searching through all of our stuff, searching my mom (like take off your jacket, using the wand, etc.) and I was trying to hold her while I put my shoes on and off. WEAR SLIP ONS (for both you AND DD, because her shoes have to come off, too!).

And lastly, be prepared for crying. If she is still on the bottle or boob, make sure she has one ready RIGHT NOW when she starts to cry. And crying is something inevitable, so just go with the flow and try to not get stressed.
    Anonymous

• A note book, pencils, and crayons. I used to draw pictures for my toddlers and they would pick what color to color everything. That literally kept them entertained for hours. Don't forget her favorite blanket or other comfort item, and something to keep her ears from popping.

Another idea is to have her skip her naps so that she's tired when you get on the plane and will hopefully sleep through it, although if it backfired I couldn't imagine a worse place to have a fussy monster. You could get thrown off the plane these days.

Anonymous

• Crying is not necessarily inevitable like a previous poster said. My kids have traveled both domestically and internationally from the time they were 6 months old and they never cried.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:17 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• We had a 10 hour flight with my dd when she was 16 months. It's not horrible, especially if you have them skip nap, they are more likely to fall asleep. Bring along a small toy, a few prepackaged snacks, and maybe a little book or if she's into coloring, get one of those mini crayola color wonders books with the markers.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:07 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• We have flown a lot with my son who is now five. Best bet is to book your flight at times of day that your baby might be tired. If you can get them to fall asleep then thats the best. A lot of kids fall asleep anyway because the high altitude makes them sleepy. Downloading cartoons onto your Ipod is your best bet, if you have one. A laptop or portable dvd player works too but you have to lug it around which can get heavy! Books are good, we have a Tag reading system from Leapfrog and you can download the books on the pen and listen to the full book without actually having the book with you. This is good because again you dont have to lug it around. Avoid toys that she can throw or make noise with. Thats never fun! Snacks help. Maybe even snacks that are new to her or that you don't usually let her have. Make it last as long as possible it can waste at least thirty minutes lol.
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 8:38 PM on Jun. 25, 2010