My question is to all that think FS recipients should not be able to buy what they want

I was coming across web sites that sell years supply of food for like $1200.00 it is http://www.yourfoodstorage.com/yearsupplies. Should the government just hand out food to poor people instead of food stamps. My family is on food stamps so I am interested in reactions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• ?? OR, You can actually do something to earn money and BUY IT or GASP grow it. Knit, sew, clean, grow plants to sell, babysit, WHATEVER it takes. DO SOMETHING TO EARN THE FOOD. You are not entitled to anything.
    Anonymous

• I am on FS as well. We will probably lose it since I am trying to get a job. I think that just because we get FS does not mean the well off people in the country get to dictate what I eat. My son has allergies so we have to be careful what we feed him. He is also a picky eater. I think that if people who use their own money can buy whatever they want, so should we.
    proudmama1207

Answer by proudmama1207 at 1:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• OP HERE: I do work full time, as well as other things to earn money and we still qualify---ANON 12:09--you attitude was the one I was talking about!
    Anonymous

• Um. WHY? Why should you get to buy whatever you want? You are poor enough to receive food stamps. So you should buy food that is best for you. Proteins, grains, legumes, dairy, HEALTHY FOOD. THEN when you get actual money..buy what you couldn't afford before. SAME AS THE REST OF US. This entitlement attitude really sucks.
    Anonymous

• do you get it all at once? where would you put that much food? a lot of people who are on fs are hard working and just cant seem to make ends meet. doesnt mean we need to take away their option of what they eat and feed their family.
    Anonymous

• what people don't understand, or WISH to understand is that not everyone is trying to abuse the system. i'm on FS, and i get enough... i could have gotten more, but when i saw what i would be getting without the extra info, i decided that i really didn't need as much as they were offering. i do NOT think people should dictate what we get on FS... we're already sucking up our pride and getting help... why make us stoop even further than we already have? i am VERY thankful for everything that i get, but my family likes to eat healthy. sorry, no mac & cheese or ramen for us. my girls have allergies as well, so i have to look very carefully at what we get. for people to say "get a job and EARN it"... thats not really cool. even with a job, it's not always easy... especially where i live. i go to school full time, was just put on maternity leave (because the state laws suck.) and no one is going to hire an 8 month preggy.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 1:17 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I honestly don't care what people buy with FS. It's their business as long as it's legal and it's food. Are you asking if it should be allowed to buy a years worth of food, OP? Or if the govt. should just allot an amount of food for those on FS? I really don't know. I don't know how long people usually have to be on FS before they get off of them (I am sure this depends on financial status of the family), so I think it's getting ahead of ourselves to provide a year worth of food. Also there are a lot of people that have either allergies or they don't eat certain things for personal reasons (religious reasons sometimes and of course there are vegetarians). I think if you get FS and you have a balance on your FS that will buy that sort of food, then it should be allowed I guess.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:19 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• This is wild! I had no idea this existed!
    AutumnLybbie

Answer by AutumnLybbie at 1:20 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• First off, don't get pregnant when your on welfare. Second, things in life aren't easy.

The health food store I go to get the vegan stuff we need takes food stamps. I'm not on them but I know this because on the receipt it says "food stamps total." I guess they're tax free. Any way, my point is that you can get healthy food. I will never understand why people that aren't on food stamps don't eat healthy. Being poor is no excuse for feeding your kids crap.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:21 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Oh, my heavens, no, that's the civilian equivalent to MRE's. Babies need good, whole, fresh food. People in bad situations need help. It's the people who manipulate the system that need to be prosecuted.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:22 PM on Jun. 8, 2010