If you have a babysitter that is a SAHM,do you think that she babysits just for the fun of it or because they need the money to add to thier household income?

I am a stay at home mom...or a work at home mom, I should say. I have 3 families that I babysit for on an on call basis Monday through Friday. Each has a signed contract and an agreed day that I am to be paid. Well, sometimes they "forget" to pay on that day, and if I'm not broke at the moment, I will let it go for a few days before saying something. Well, here lately we've literally have been living pay check to paycheck and the money I make I NEED for food, gas,a bill, whatever.
So I've been putting my foot down about people paying late.I will call and make them bring me my money.There is one family that acts like I don't need the money. They are supposed to pay weekly.But 2 weeks went by and when the 3rd came and they didnt pay, I asked for my money.I told her if she was short, to let me know, I will work with her and she copped a huge attitude.I love kids,but I don't babysit JUST for the fun of it!I need to get paid too!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• That's lousy of people not to pay you. They are taking advantage. I'd refuse to allow the child in your home without payment in full.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 1:38 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I think that if you are a SAHM and you choose to make some money off the position you are in, then great.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:20 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• If you have parents trying to take advantage of you, I'd either enforce the contract or ditch them and get a kid that has parents that pay. I stay at home with my 3 kids that are all younger than school age. I can tell you I would never take on someone else's kids for the fun of it.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:22 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I am a SAHM and i also babysit i get $75 a week or $20 a day she does pay every other friday for that week and the next week so i like how she pays once in a while she forgets and asks is it ok if she waits till monday i use to babysit for someone that would get like 3 or 4 weeks behind then forget and only pay me for 2 and when i said something they were like no i have already paid errr it made me mad so i had to start asking every week
    Anonymous

• I've never really thought about it. I have 2 friends who have gone into business with their at home day care. They take the kids who are on some sort of state day care aid so that they always know they'll be getting paid on a certain day once a month. One of them even get's free food packages to feed the kids lunches.
    Anonymous

• well the SAHM I had said she did it for fun money so she negotiated what we payed . I mean most I nkow use it to supplement their income but for some it is a good portion of it. Once we paid late because Iiterally left the diaper bag..I felt so bad we had to pay every Monday for that week.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 1:51 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Tell them not to bring their children again until they pay in full the amount due to you.
    MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 1:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Deadbeats usually get hostile. Time to cut them loose.
    Anonymous

• I pay my sitter on Monday for that week. That's how it should work, they need to pay you on Monday for the days they are going to bring their child that week. If they dont pay, they can't leave their child.
    Anonymous

• Good idea anon :11
    Maybe its time I make a few changes in the babysitting agreement contract I have them sign.
    Anonymous