When did you start putting cereal in your baby's bottle... if you did at all?

I have a 2 yr old, a 4 yr old and 3 week old twins... and I remember the doctor telling us to do this with our 2 yr old when he was a baby b/c he had reflux. But I don't remember how old he was at the time.

Anyway, one of my twins spits up a lot.... pretty much after every feeding. So I was thinking about putting some rice cereal in her bottle to help her keep it down a little better but I'm afraid if she spits it up she might choke on it b/c she is still so little. What do you guys think?

I am an extremely paranoid and overprotective mother (lol) so I just wanted to see what some of your thoughts were on this subject. Do you think it would hurt her or am I over-thinking it?

JenMarie2007

Asked by JenMarie2007 at 1:21 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i put rice cereal and oatmeal in my babies bottles when she was about two months old bc of her acid reflux it helped alot and she kept down all of her food but this was recommended by my ped...lots of moms talk smack about doing so but hey if your baby needs it why not..my lil one is 4mnths old and doing great good luck
    Anonymous

• I would talk to your ped
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:23 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• NEVER.

You should take your baby to the pediatrician. My baby (now 5 months old) had reflux and had to be put on a prescription med at 6 weeks. If it's just a little spit up and not enough to be called vomit, then I wouldn't worry at all.

Cereal in a bottle is a choking hazard and simply not good for babies not ready for solids.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:25 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Never. My son had refulx also. He is 3 now. But it was never recommended to put cereal in the bottle, it is a severe choking hazard. I even asked our ped about it and he said it is a BIG no-no.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 1:25 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Your supposed to wait until 3-4 months.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 1:26 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Umm never
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 1:37 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• i hear about 3 months is kinda the rule of thumb, but i would talk to the ped about it. i never put it in her bottle and she spit up a lot. there are lots of other things to help it.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:41 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• 3 months is the general age to start with cereal, but it is NEVER supposed to be in the bottle. It is a choking hazard and a proven link to SIDS. It has just been found a choking hazard in the past few years. Many doctors used to recommend the cereal in the bottle before there was proof of the risks. Have you tried changing formulas or maybe adding half a scoop extra formula then the can says?
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 2:04 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• If you're a protective mother, as all mothers should be, you should not do this at all. And especially not without talking to your pediatrician first. And 3 months is not the age to start with cereal. They used to say 4 months but now they're even saying 6.
    Anonymous

• I personally never put cereal in the bottle, its linked to childhood obesity and all that fun stuff so I just didnt want to do it.
    As far as the spitting up goes it may not be reflux this time. it may just be a gassy baby. you can try a different kind of bottle, I personally preferred Dr Browns bottles. after working in daycare for three years I discovered those are the best bottles for gassy babies, the vent thing creates basically no bubbles. also try burping as often as possible. It may seem lke a hassle, but try burping after every 1/2 ounce or every ounce. this will prevent the big gassy build up which is what causes the spit up. =)
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 2:30 PM on Jun. 8, 2010