What time do you put your kids to bed?

I have 3 girls ages 9 months 3 years and one that will be 9 next month.I put my 3 and 9 year old to bed at 8:30pm and they get ready for bed at 8pm.Hubby thinks that the 9 year old should go to bed later.I think 8:30pm is late enough at the begining of the school year I let her go to bed at 9pm but found out that she fell asleep in class 3 times.What do you think?Oh and she get the bus at 8:55 am and wakes up at 8am every morning for school.

Mamato2angels

Asked by Mamato2angels at 1:23 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Our 3 & 4 yr old go to be at 8PM during the Fall & Winter months & in the Spring & Summer when it's light longer, they go to bed around 9PM. They usually sleep until about 7:30 or 8AM. Their nap time is from 1:30PM - about 3:30-4PM
    A 9 year old needs about 9-10 hours of sleep to be well rested. If she's falling asleep in class, doesn't sound like she's getting enough sleep at night.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 1:29 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• My DD's 5 and 2.5 both go to bed at 8pm. My 5 year old will be starting school this fall so I might change her bedtime to more like 8:30.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 1:36 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• If she's falling asleep AT school then she does NOT need a later bedtime. That's a clear indication that she did not have enough sleep or adequate time alloted for sleep. You don't want her falling a sleep at school that's going to hurt her grades etc. Mine are 8 and 9 their bed time is at 8:45 pm. HOWEVER we homeschool so they do not have to get up in the morning to catch a school bus they can get up whenever they want (within reason). My daughter (8) wake up from about 7:30 to 8:30 am. My son (9) wakes up from about 6:30-7:30 am. If they were going to school both of these time would be way too late, seeing the school bus would be here at 7:15 am to pick them up. So if they were going to school bedtime here would be more like 7:30-8:00 pm. This is so I can be sure they have enough sleep for school.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 1:56 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• on school nights: 9:15 (she gets up at 6:30)
    Friday night: as late as she can stay awake
    Saturday night: 10:00 (church next morning)
    She is 12.
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 2:16 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• When they were younger it was 8pm. As they have gotten older it is 9:30pm. When they turn 18 they are allowed to stay up late as they want as long as they are able to be responsible with their chores up., etc.
    gramama4

Answer by gramama4 at 6:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• On school nights my almost 10yo goes to bed at 7pm. We had changed her bedtime to 8pm at the beginning of the school year but she wouldn't get up in the morning and was late to school 4 times in the first 10 days of school.

Now that it's summer all my kids (4, 7, 8 and almost 10) stay up until 10pm if they are behaving. Right now they are fighting over the TV and couch so they might be going to bed at 8pm because I'm tired of hearing it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:50 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• My daughters are both seven. they are to be in bed at eight no later. They need their rest for school. This is very important. They might not fall asleep at eight, but they are in that bed right on time. I have all my kids on a schedule lol, I have always been kind of ocd with that. My twelve year old has a bed time as well. ten thirty for him. And if I think he cant get up, then we will go down on the time. However in the summer when school is out, I will let them stay up longer. I will not give my older son a bed time in the summer, he will usually fall asleep on his own at a decent hour. My daughters no later than like ten, if they dont have school. But when its about to be school time again, we start to get back in to the routine of things. But really young kids, def should not be going to bed so late. like eight. Thats a bit early, but hey everyone has different ways of going about that.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 3:29 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• The way I always figured it was they never go right to sleep when you put them to bed anyhow, so I have a bed time routine I did w/all of them until they are able to put themselves to bed. I would put them in their room for some play and wind down time after their bath when teeth are brushed and ready for bed. I'd put them for playtime/reading on your own..about an hour before bed like at 7 and then at 8 I put the "lights out" rule in force. Sometimes I'd find they'd fallen asleep before 8 and it'd be a bonus nap for them..
    momof4kids257

Answer by momof4kids257 at 12:23 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• My 18 month old goes to bed at 7 and wakes at 7. My 8, 10, and 12 year olds go to bed at 8:30 and have to get up at 6:45 to get ready for school.

Answer by missanc at 1:42 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• mine go to bed at 7pm, 9pm on the weekends. I have a 5, 6 and 10 year old and the bus picks them up at 7am so they are up at 6.
    RAI2001

Answer by RAI2001 at 3:24 PM on Jun. 9, 2010