Child Support

Can anyone please explain to me the point of Child Support. I have tried and tried to understand this. Why should someone have to pay the other parent for a child they both made? And IF it is for the child, why don't they make laws so that it goes to the child. I'm married, never been divorced. But I do have a child with a sperm donor I collect nothing from, don't want to. But I never understood why my mother collected money for me and my brothers. Especially when I knew not a dime of it went to us. Not trying to bash on the women that get it, and if yours goes to your kids great. I just don't understand taking money, when you work and make your own to take care of the kids at your house....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• The money is supposed to help pay for things the child wants or needs but I agree with you that the program is very poorly implemented. Too many women take it as payback for the man not pursuing them even after they left the relationship.
    Anonymous

• Why shouldn't he help at least financially with the kid he helped make? He should just be allowed to walk away and never think about it again? I don't child support from my ex. If I did it would go to my son and his needs. But child support goes to everything that child needs. Daycare, food, clothes, transportation and a roof over his head. That's why i'll never understand those moms that get $70 a month or less. What the hell is that gonna get a kid? Not a lot. I think there should be stricter laws forcing jobs on dead beat dads so they have to pay child support.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:42 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• when the parents are divorced, more often than not, the person that doesn't have custody doesn't help out with the child... yes, they both made the child, therefore they should both be supporting him/her. the custodial parent decides where the money goes... rent, bills, food, clothes, etc... that is all important in the child's life. the child support my daughters get goes straight to daycare, and doesn't even pay half of it. they may not SEE the money, but it is helping to care for them.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 1:42 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Because it is the other parents baby and responsibility too not just one parent. Why should one parent by everything and the other parent doesn't have to buy anything? I am married both my kids are my DH's kids, but I don't think that is far that one parent has to suport why the other doesn't. No the money isn't given to the kids, but the money that goes to the parent is for diapers, wipes, formula, clothes whatever you need to buy for the baby or child.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 1:43 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Did your mother feed you? Clothe you? Keep a roof over your head? Take you to school & appts? Buy you gifts? Then you did benefit from the support that you father paid.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 1:44 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Why shouldnt the absent parent be forced to help take care of a child he/she helped create?
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 1:44 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• OP here, I'm not saying they should be able to walk away (unless its the best interest of the child) I wouldn't let DS sperm donor around for all the money in the world. But if the custody is 50/50 Why should they have to pay? They have the kids just as much as the other?

Again those that it goes to the kids Great. I can respect that. My mother used it on bars and clothes and makeup for her while my brothers and I got hand me downs and walmart brand...

I just think if they are going to take child support they should make sure it does just that, Supports the child..
    Anonymous

• In CT, it is explained this way: As an example say the parents combined income is 100k. The father makes 60% of the 100k with the mother making 40%. Based on the combined income say the weekly child support amount is $300. The father is responsible for 60% (his share of their combined income) of the $300 and the mother's responsible for 40% (her share). Since the mother isn't going to pay herself, the only thing that remains is the father's percentage of the total child support amount, which based on this example would be $180/week.

Does that clarify it?
    Anonymous

• Anon :46..Thank you that at least makes some since to me. I still think the courts should be more involved in making sure it goes to the kids.

To motherofhope. My mother mostly got us hand me downs. And I grew up on hotdogs and macaroni. She only had to buy my school supplies, Dad took care of my brothers. So yea the 300 or 400 a month was not going to us. She was always at the bar, or a friends, or something for her.
    Anonymous

• Just because each penny she collected isn't sitting in a piggy bank waiting for you when you grew up, doesn't mean she didn't use that money on you. All of your household bills were supplemented by that child support. There is more to my opinion but I think I'll keep it to myself.
    Anonymous