At what age did you stop giving your child naps? And why did you stop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Depends on the child. If they can stay awake all the way until bedtime, they probably don't need a nap. The nap could make them stay up past bedtime. That's how to gage it. Or at least when I did. I have two kids and both were different ages when they stopped napping. It depends on their energy levels, activities, and such.
    Anonymous

• I do not think anyone mother wants to stop the napping time, it stops because the child starts growing and in the process outgrows it somewhat, finding all kinds of things they could do with their time instead of sleeping.

Answer by older at 1:42 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• my ds stopped just after he turned 4... he broke his leg and kinda stopped on his own because he wasn't expending as much energy during the day because he couldn't go outside and play
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:42 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• It depends on the child. The child will let you know when a nap is no longer needed.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 1:42 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• my boys are 2.5 and they don't nap. they wake up at 9 am and go all day we do have some down time when i let them watch a few shows and then they are alsleep by 8. otherwise when they napped they'd be up till 11ish it was exausting for me. the only exception is if they wake up early then around 12-2 he might fall asleep
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 1:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I didn't decide to stop, my DD just stopped needing them. She would no longer fall asleep for a noon nap, and if she actually did, she NEVER fell asleep at bedtime. That can't happen. lol I do miss naps though.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 5:27 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• My kids were both done by the age of 3. It became unneccesary for them to have a nap.
    Anonymous