SPIN OFF FROM OTHER QUESTION:: Should gov. take away food stamps and...

just give out boxes of food every week or month or 6 months Example:My DD and DS got food boxes "supplemental food boxes" of dried milk and canned milk and cheese and juice and canned fruit and veggies, and canned meat, rice, beans, peanut butter and cereal every month for a year, from age 5(after wic ended) till 6. If the gov, stopped giving food stamps and gave out food, do you thing lots of people would take advantage of it? Do you think it would be more cost effective for the gov?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• we use to get those as a kid. and they helped out a lot because we were not on food stamps. maybe people who only qualify for like 50 dollars get a box. but it's really just taking away simple freedoms. just because you dont have the money doesnt mean you deserve to eat nothing but box and canned food.
    Anonymous

• costs for food goes up with allergies... AAAAND those supplemental boxes wouldn't really be helpful if the children can't eat it. that is why my children are not on wic... the coupons aren't much help when they can't eat half the things on the list.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 2:05 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• That's true. You have to consider food allergies. It's a shame you have to try and figure out ways to stop people from taking advantage. But if you can get around the food allergies, and other issues, then maybe it's a good idea.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 2:27 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• NO I think that giving out food boxes would cause more problems and would need more effective laws to control the handling and health consernes of the food. Food Stamps is a great program and I think that it helps out a lot of families in need.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 2:28 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Have you seen the food provided by school food programs? They'd have the same type of guidelines - bought and paid for by the same corporations that are currently screwing up subsidized breakfast/lunches. You think everyone is getting fat now? Just see what would happen if everyone on FS was required to eat nothing but processed crap from free boxes instead of having the choice to eat healthy (which is what most people on a budget do once they get a handle on the basic math of it - eating healthy is always cheaper)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:36 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• ITA with NP, she's right. When you're government controls your food source it will then become not only rock bottom fodder but it will also become another mode of monetary gain for anyone wanting to scam the system. Nobody pays more for goods and services than the Fed.Govt ( $1000 toilet seats, at least the wallstreet boys got GOLD ones for that price) and the goods being given to the people will be very minimally standardized.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:48 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• There would be rioting in the streets.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 2:51 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• sure..lets starve the children :D Way to go Americans
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 3:01 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Only if they actually gave you nutritional items that you could actually make a meal out of and enough for your whole family. I went to the food bank once and never again they gave me 1 lb of hamburger for a family of 7. I can't even make 1 meal out of that. I need 2 boxes of noodles ot make a meal not one. It just goes on and on. But my sister who only has 2 kids gets way more food then we do. Not complainign because we could have got nothing  but i think they would have to make sure everyone got fresh fruits and veggies, plenty of food for the family size, etc. I really don't know how they figure out how much you get.

Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 11:00 AM on Jun. 9, 2010