I went in for my first ultrasound today, but there was no sac to be seen. Has anyone experienced this?

According to my last BC pack I started my last normal period on 4/14. I had terrible brkthru bleeding about 2 wks after that for about 4 days. I did not start my period when I started my placebos in May so, I took a hpt on May 28th mid day, resulted in a very faint line. I retested with First Response Digital AND Kroger brand tests the following morning and the digital test was pos, kroger test was neg. I made an appt with and OBGYN for the following Tues (6/2). Met my new OB, produced a pos urinalisis, and he estimated my due date based on my LMP (despite breakthrough bleeding) SO, just to be sure, he sched an ultrasound for today. Went in, and there was no sac visible. They drew for hcg levels (results will be in tom) and told me to come back 6/10 for another blood test. Doc said that it could possibly be eptopic, or just too soon to tell. Any opinion/perspective/similar story will help! Im terrified!!! Thanks!

twelsh2

Asked by twelsh2 at 2:05 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It is very possible that you are too early. The first time I got an ultrasound ( I went in super early for it because of bleeding) I was about 5 or 6 weeks along, there was small sac but nothing in there yet that was visible. within a week I went back and the fetal pole was visible and I am now 22 weeks pregnant. Early pregnancy is an amazing thing, so much can change in the matter of a few days!! It is very good that you are being monitored and that they are checking everything they can. just stay positive until you know for sure and try not to stress yourself out!! I know thats hard, trust me! I was a total spaz when they didnt see a baby in the sac so I can only imagine how you are feeling right now. but there is no need to worry until you know for sure!! Best of luck to you!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 2:19 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I'm sorry, I haven't experienced but I think if it was ectopic you would be experiencing pain, They couldn't find my lil guy at 7 weeks so I think your be ok.... GL!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 2:20 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Thank you!! I'm trying to stay postitive. This is my second pregnancy (my first was a missed abortion, the baby stopped developing but my body didn't miscarry it on its own..) and that was five years ago. Now, I'm completely surprised with this one and dont want to go through that, or anything like it, again! Trying to stay calm, which is why I am turning to a forum of some sort for support! Thanks again for the advice!
    twelsh2

Answer by twelsh2 at 2:23 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• you are very welcome! I went through something very similar to you with my first pregnancy. I had a miscarraige my body tried to get rid of it on its own but couldnt so I had to have a D&C to clear out all the tissue. that was definitely not fun. so I know how worried you are right now, this pregnancy will be my second child born, and I still worry about every single little pain lol. I was really bad when I was pregnant with my daughter since that was the first pregnancy after the miscarriage. I think I have learned a bit more about staying calm but its still very hard sometimes!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 2:26 PM on Jun. 8, 2010