ReApplying for foodstamps/medical/cash or other benefits has gotten so much easier here...has it for you too?

This is a recent change here.I live in Cleveland, Ohio.
We have to reapply every 6 months for benefits if we want to still recieve them. Instead of having to go to the office for an appointment, they simply mail out a phone interview appointment for a day and time that they will call you and they mail you a packet of information on tell you what documents they might need..and you just mail in copies ..like income verification,utility bills and other stuff.
It works well for us because we live like 45 minutes away from the office and our car is either always broke down or we don' t have the gas money to get there and you son't have to supply the same info over and over like everyones birth certs or ssi cards..as long as they have them on file once, thats good enough.
Have they done this in your area to? WHat do you think about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• All the negative remarks are so judgemental, when they abolutely do not know you or your circumstances. Many people are so bad off that cannot afford the 45 minute commute in gas, and sometimes run out of gas money to even look for work, or have to limit their looking to closer areas because of what it would cost for gas on a daily commute. Some areas, bus systems really stink and you have to walk a mile to the nearest bus stop. My son walks up to 5 miles in Az heat looking for work. Come on people, every situation is different.
    letsgetreal

Answer by letsgetreal at 6:07 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Good for you. They're making it easier for you to be a lazy parasite of society.
    Anonymous

• Sorry but I don't think they should make it so easy to get pa, and allow them to do it over the phone. They should require everyone who wants it to "work' for it by going in to the office and apply in person, stand in line to get the forms, fill out the forms there and then stand in line to have the paperwork looked over and approved/denied.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like they're saving paper without needing to copy all those documents again :) The more time applicants are there, the more time employees are there and that's more tax dollars that have to pay them and for large facilities. So I think it's great that they're being smarter about it. But of course someone will be mad that things aren't made difficult for the "parasites" of society. Cause that's the goal of PA; making things difficult.
    change.is.good

Answer by change.is.good at 4:31 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• i could understand that for food stamps, most people on food stamps do work, so it's difficult for them to go to their appointments during the day. BUT for cash assistance, I feel like you should have to come into the office and prove that you are looking for jobs, training, etc...

customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 4:37 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• My husband has to get up and go to work in the middle of the night in the freezing cold when there is 2 feet of snow on the ground to support people like you who don't want to go to a little bit of trouble to get money you haven't earned. Something is wrong with this picture.
    Anonymous

• Exactly, Anon :18 but those on PA say you are rich then threaten bad things to happen so you will to be like them someday.
    Anonymous

• It's teh same way in our area. When you first apply you have to go to the office. Then about a week later you have to do a phone interview. THEN you get your card in the mail. Once on it, they send you paperwork every 6 months that you fill out and send back in with recent pay stubs (they tell you what months they need). With in a week of this you get a letter telling you what your benefits are, if they went up/down and why or if they got cut off all together and why. They also can "schedule" a phone or house interview at ANY time.
    Anonymous

• Answered at 4:37 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 by: customcat2000
    i could understand that for food stamps, most people on food stamps do work, so it's difficult for them to go to their appointments during the day. BUT for cash assistance, I feel like you should have to come into the office and prove that you are looking for jobs, training, etc...

I don't understand for food - I think they should have to re-apply in person, every time.
    I live in OHIO - For cash assistance, you are required to participate in their 'jobs' program... which means you have to meet with a case worker for almost 3 hours and they will determine how much you qualify for and then will place you in different industries, Goodwill, Salvation Army etc.... to earn the cash assistance.

I am non on PA at all, I'm a SAHM. We just budget and live within our means. Just know the logistics of it living here and from my last employment stent.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 5:55 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• LOL@ parasite on society? Please. I'm far from that. I've worked my butt off paying into taxes for YEARS. Something has come up and I work from home making about 1/3 of what I used to make and I STILL pay into taxes. So , I get a little help to buy food. I hardly consider myself a parasite to society. Lazy? Me? You have no idea who I am , how dare you say I am lazy. I am up at the crack of dawn and go to bed dog tired every night and all I do is mostly unpaid work all day long.
    At any rate..I'm done arguing about my situation. I do what I have to do and its none of your business. Just glad there are smart people out there that thought of people like me that have a hard time making it to appointments with transportation getting there, and having to rearrange my work schedule so I can continue making money for that day and not have a loss of wages.
    Anonymous