Anyone with a late talker?

My son will be 20 months soon and doesn't say 50 words. some websites scare me b/c they say kids should know 10-50 by now. I think he can say like 7 words but he understands what I say to him. When should i worry?

mommylovesu28

Asked by mommylovesu28 at 2:15 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldn't worry about it. It takes time for some kids. Does he go to play groups where there are older children or day care? usually if little kids are exposed to older kids they pick up on what they're saying and that's how they develope their talking skills. My daughter just started going to day care this year and her talking has improved greatly. She's three now. I think not exposing her to other children as often when she was little kinda hurt her speaking ability.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 2:20 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I was thinking of putting him into daycare soon and going back to work. Just gotta see if I can afford the daycare. He does like to chase other kids at the park and try to give them hugs, its funny. He does babble a lot and tries to speak.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 2:22 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Try to get involved in a library story time activity or a Mommy & Me kind of class, and never baby talk to him. He will pick up words and phrases you say, and he'll pronounce things better if he has a good example to listen to.Let your pediatrician know if you are concerned about it, and they can test hearing or refer you to a speech pathologist if it's necessary.
    Anonymous

• My son was about at that point at that age. My pediatrician told me to wait until he was two and have him evaluated if he hadn't had a language explosion by then (language explosion is normal around 20 to 22 months). My son did not have much improvement so I had him tested. He only tested one month behind where he should have been, but he started speech therapy at that point. He is amost 3 now, and while he has improved, he is still not a big talker.

I think you should be a little concerned at this point. Start a list of the words your son does say so you can really know where he is at. My son was actually saying more words than I realized. You can have him tested by EI and find out where he really is. You may be surprised that he is not nearly as far behind as you thought, and if he is behind you can get some help.
    Anonymous

• If you're concerned, get with EI. They'll evaluate him and let you know what's going on. :)
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 2:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• yes my son is 25 months old and still dosnt talk too much. But he is getting better. He gets speech therapy twice a week for 30 minutes and we will register him for head start when he's 3, if he's still eligible by then. I read to my son all the time (i've been reading to him since he was in my belly lol), I label stuff in the store, outside, in books, on tv and while we play, I sing interactive songs with him all the time...he is very cognitively intelligent, his gross motor skills are excellent...he's just a late talker. SO didnt really start talking till he was about 3, same with me. Same with Albert Einstein!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:42 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• A developmental evaluation never hurts, just to be on the safe side! It's free and if nothing else, can set your fears at ease.

Answer by missanc at 3:03 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• If he's understanding what you're saying to him, and learning new words, i wouldnt worry too much. A friends ped once told her something interesting... Most babies develop faster in EITHER physical or language. She has 1 (grown) daughter who could recite whle chapters of the Bible @ 3 years old but didnt walk until she was like 16 months old. Then her other (grown) daughter was walking @8 months and barely talked at all until she was 2 years old. Funny thing is that both girls have followe these trends into their adult lives. The younger one is still much more physical, and the older is very poetic. Not to say one is better. Both girls are amazing and are working on their college degrees. They are just different. As we all are.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:46 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• My daughter didn't really start talking until 2 and a 1/2. She knew what I was saying, but just wasn't interested in talking.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• My middle daughter had a speech delay. At 20 months she knew 2 words (mama and dada). By 22 months she knew about 8 words and when she turned 2 she knew maybe 15 words. She understood everything we said and could follow complex directions so we didn't really worry. We just worked with her at home to encourage her to talk more (and I had to convince my older kids to quit talking for her). She didn't really start speaking in complete sentences until she was almost 3 years old (a year behind most kids).
    She's almost 8 and going into 2nd grade and doing fine. She still mumbles a lot and is hard to understand sometimes but otherwise is normal.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:42 AM on Jun. 9, 2010