White House Allows More Off-Shore Oil Drilling

The Obama administration is expected today to release new safety regulations to allow for offshore oil and gas exploration to resume in shallow waters, even as tens of thousands of barrels of oil continue to gush into the Gulf of Mexico from the Deepwater Horizon spill.

Good idea? Bad idea? How do you feel about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:16 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Less than one hundredth of a percent (that's 0.01%) of the oil wells in the gulf have had problems. Logic says drilling is safe and should continues. Of course, that's a hard pill to swallow for those who insist Obama agrees with them on everything and still want to claim this well is "proof" that Bush is evil and Obama is good.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• White House to Allow for Shallow Water Oil Drilling

‎Please note the article is dated today, so this is a NEW current event. 

Anonymous

• I think it is ok. Their was alot of off shore drilling so this one accident shouldnt stop it. We do need to exercise precaution and learn from our mistakes but we also need to rely on our own oil supply and not buy it from over seas.
    Anonymous

• I think the current problem should be fixed first. They can't stop the leak that's going on now, and they want to start new drilling? That's crazy.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 2:24 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I think anything that allows this country to be able to produce a product or provide a resource from it's own origins are good. Drilling in the U.S. or manufacturing in the U.S. is ALWAYS better than importing it from the UAE or China, no matter who is behind the big desk.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:43 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I guess. I just don't understand how they can't stop the leaks. How can they NOT have come up with SOMETHING by now? I know it's a huge thing, but, really, they can't figure something out?
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 2:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• If it is true it is excellent, I'm not even going to waste my time telling you why because to many people are to emotionally freaked out right now to understand whats good or not.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:47 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• One of the few times Obama is doing a good thing.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 4:23 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Interesting. Many people agree with this move, and none are Obama supporters. I agree with NP, BTW.

Wonder where the anon who screams "Obama haters" is right now?

Wonder where the Obama supporters are right now?
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:20 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Good idea. We didn't stop using fertilizer after the ships exploded in Texas and killed all the people, we don't stop using many products after chemical spills, illnesses and such. We learn from the mistakes, improve the design, and move on. If we are to not continue using oil for the life style of the people of the entire earth, please, give us a viable alternative. We are all waiting for the alternative.

http://www.local1259iaff.org/texascitydisasterpics.htm

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:42 PM on Jun. 8, 2010