What statedo you live in and how is the recession still affecting you or someone you know?

We live in Ohio.My dad has been with the same company for 25 years.Three years ago, this company was booming and in the process of creating a new line of products.They employed about 500 or more people. Now, they are down to 25 employess, and of those that are left..my dad is one of them. His full time hours have been cut down to 25 hours a week and he had to take a 13% paycut.He is suffering big time.He is over 50 and is having a horrible time of finding a new job.He's been trying to find one for the past year and a half.And there are tons more stories just like his that I've been hearing about left and right.I wish this would just pick up already! Its been so hard.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• tell me about it! i live in new york, probably the most expensive state of all so we've been hit hard. my mom is a loan officer, she does peoples mortgages so shes been hit really hard. we are all in so much debt and i know so many people who are laid off, so many people whos houses went into foreclosure or are going into foreclosure. my best friend and her family just had to leave the house they lived at since she was born because it went into foreclosure. my uncles house is going into foreclosure. my SO's dad has been laid for quite a while. i have debt collectors calling me constantly and my credit is shot. its ridiculous.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:40 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I live in Michigan, it is impossible not to be affected when a large portion of jobs in the metro detroit area were with the big 3, or a company that had contracts with them
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:25 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I live in Florida and the county I live in is second highest in the nation for unemployment rates. There simply are no jobs, so many people I know are being greatly affected by it.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 2:42 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• GA. I'm not sure really, people here complain daily about the economy but it seems more robust here than any of the places I've been in the last 11 years. Personally, we are doing as good as ever before and I have gone back to work after being basically a SAHM for 7 years, I've recently bought a small business and I'm interviewing for a job tomorrow. My son who is only 15 has 2 jobs paying cash under the table this year for the summer around $10 an hour--so I think things look pretty good.
    BUT--just this past 2 weeks 3 friends of ours have lost their jobs. So...maybe it balanced out or got worse.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 3:06 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Raleigh, NC. I don't know anyone who has been laid off and my husband's job is very secure. There are still Help Wanted signs and Job Fairs happening all the time. So it really hasn't affected us all that much.

Answer by missanc at 3:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I'm in FL. There are definitely people in our area struggling, we have 3 major boat manufacturers in our town and only recently have they started hiring again. Before that they let most of their work force go. I don't personally know anyone struggling, as in family or close friends, and our family is doing better than we ever have.
    Anonymous

• i know a few folks who lost their homes and are living in apartments. and the ones that are hanging onto their houses, I don't know how they're doing it. But I do know that the stupid apartment real estate and is taking advantage. A tiny ugly crappy one bedroom apt is like $600. Oh and im in Dallas. Alot of friends are looking for jobs.
    Anonymous

• i have not seen a recession really, we have extra income coming in.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 3:49 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• WA state, hubby was bringing home over 6 figures last year however was laid off from his very secure job and had to go back to work for the union making considerably less than he was. I work in the mortgage industry on commission base and if you know anything about the mortgage industry, you will understand my lack of income. I know many people who are laid off and many who have had to move out of their homes and in with family. Nothing is looking up here. Work source is always full and the crime rate is going up.
    Anonymous

• Minnesota. It's definitely affected us. DH lost his job of 15+ years last December and hasn't found another yet. Luckily, he's picked up a little consulting work here & there, but for the most part, it's just been unemployment. It was an awful shock for us as we really thought his job was fairly secure.

Certainly there are jobs out there, but there are 400+ applicants for a job now. It's really coming down to your networking, who you know, whether companies are ready to make a move, etc. And when you're at a certain level of income, it's not as easy as just going to find a lesser paying job. They don't want to hire you.

It's improved quite a bit in my area, but there are still many, many people affected by the economy. Normally, we weather these things very well here in MN, but this time, we were affected. It hit rather late though, compared to the rest of the country.
    Anonymous