Flying / Traveling with baby

My hubby and I will be flying to the east coast (from the west coast) in September with our now 7 month old. We'll be there about a week visiting with my sister and her family.
This will be our first vacation and plane ride with our DS.

Does anyone have any tips, advice, comments that may help us?

(FYI, I breastfeed/pump which will need to be put into consideration for the plane rides)

Thanks!
:-)

Munchkin09

Asked by Munchkin09 at 2:30 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have extra clothe and diapers...and bring diaper sacks, the ones that smell good, those are great if you babe wets themselves. :D

I also had packed extra blankets... and get your carseat gate checked...and a stroller too i believe...

I just recently went on trip with a 1 1/2 year old and a 3 month old...no problems!

but that's what I did with my baby and she did great! she ate whenever we took off and then for landing i usually gave her a pacifier.

i'd also pack whatever you use to breastfeed.
    MommaCassE

Answer by MommaCassE at 2:51 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Travel light. I've traveled 14 hours by car 4 times now (cloth diapering AND breastfeeding). Breastfeed on the plane. Breastfeed at rest stops. It just isn't worth the hassle to bring pumped milk unless somewhere on a car trip you absolutely know you can not stop for safety reasons and its a last resort. I wouldn't feed a bottle in a car seat unless an emergency (it is a choking hazard). In my experience, if in a car it is better to stop at a rest stop for a pee and even a short breastfeed rather than try to go on through or to be afraid to wake a sleeping baby. If you try to push it for speed, you will then create a baby so hungry, wet and so pissed they lose their mind and are inconsolable. Take the extra time. A happy, content baby is more likely to sleep once back in the seat.

Bring soft, quiet, light, small travel toys that you can clip to the baby with a pacifier clip. Pack one or two ...
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:52 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• larger toys in a small overnight case just for the baby which should also include change of clothes for the week and baby sling. If you can't fit all of a baby's things in one small carry case or suitcase you've got too much. I packed 3 dozen cloth prefold diapers for the week, cloth wipes, 1 small blanket, 3 slings, and a weeks worth of clothes into 1 small suitcase.

If you don't cloth diaper, bring only enough diapers for the trip or ride. I urge you not to buy the perfumey stuff. In a confined space it can really give you and others a headache. I hate the waste of a ziplock bag, but they will do for dirties. Or buy a nice wetbag with a zipper like cloth diaperers do! Dump the poop in the toilet, it is what you are supposed to do and it will keep the smell down! And for travel clothes. Get a long shirt and babylegs to keep legs warm in indoor chill, forget about pants.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:01 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• make sure you take an extra set of clothes for you on the plane...Trust me on this one...If not pants at least an extra shirt.

I agree with everyone else. I would also suggest an exta seat for your baby. It is safer for them to be in a carseat AND much more comfortable.
    Anonymous

• We flew from the east coast to the west coast when my daughter was 4 months and then up the east coast when she was 6 months. Unless she was sleeping, I tried to time it so that I was nursing her when we were taking off and during the descent/landing. I definitely recommend bringing extra clothes and possibly a shirt for yourself. My daughter had a poo blowout on the way out there and I was holding her and it was on my shirt before I even knew she had gone. Then she had another one on the way home. I took a wrap and carried her around in that when we changed planes and then when we were at our gate, I would lay it on the floor spread out and let her roll around on it. My MIL also borrowed a car seat from a trusted friend that she knew hadn't been in a wreck and that was a huge help to not have to worry about checking and lugging around our seat. She also borrowed a stroller. She already had a pack-n-play, too.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:48 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I'm all about packing light, so I would only bring enough diapers, plus a few extra for the actual plane ride and then buy them when you get there or have whoever you're meeting there get them.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:50 PM on Jun. 8, 2010