Have you let your child try

your wine or beer? A sip of soemthing you figure they will hate anyway. If yes, how old were they? Do you think allowing a child to try it will curb curiosity?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I didn't allow him to try it, but my So left it on the floor ( it was almost empty) and my DS picked it up and drank a lil.... now he tries to grab my SO beer whenevr he sees it
    Anonymous

• Wow, I hope your not a parent. If so...you are a very naive one. No matter how curious a baby/child is about an alcohol beverage, drugs or the fire place etc...you as the parent should LOVE your child enough to keep them safe and away from any thing harmful or dangerous.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 2:51 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• my son, 2 years old, took a sip of beer before we could stop him. He said "mMMMmm". We are very careful now lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:52 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I posted this before I saw the second part you added to this, but I still think it's your responsibility to keep your baby safe. You need to tell your boyfriend to keep his beer away from babies reach.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 2:54 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• My MIL did this with her kids. I personally think it is very immature and naive. I would never do this, ever!
    Anonymous

• OP here- gemini- I didnt mistakingly let my child grab a beer. I am not talking about toddlers or babies. I was really refering to an 8 yr old or something.
    Anonymous

• it sickens me, personally..... there's legal drinking ages for a reason. 18 months or 4 years is not 21. It's teaching them that breaking a law, within reason or with permission is OK. It feels almost like bullying, peer pressure, or setting them up to fail. I am letting my kids have an awesome childhood, HOWEVER their morals and future is very important to me.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:57 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I left my wineglass on the table once, not realizing my daughter could get to it. She took a sip, did a total spit take, and started to cry. When I came running in from the bathroom, she glared at me and said "Atsa NOT juicy Mama." I think she was 20-ish months old. To this day, she can not stomach the smell of any alcoholic beverage.
    Anonymous

• I have let my son try my wine, he made a horrible face and asked for a juice box to wash it down. My DH gave him a taste of beer a long time ago, and now he wont even drink root beer or cream soda if its out of a glass bottle. He has never asked for wine again.
    Anonymous

• OP-Anon 3:01 thank you for your honest reply. I let my dd try my wine once and she thought it was disgusting. My parents allowed me a sip of their beer and I hated it. It took away the mystery of it and I never wanted to try it again.
    Anonymous