monsters

my kids are driving me nuts i have a 3 year old and 2 year old twins they dont listen. when i give them snacks they dump out the food all over the floor and they wont stay in the corner for anything they go in the fridge and run around like nut jobs take off their diapers and smear poop on the walls they run outside everychance they get its so difficult any suggestions or do i just have to stick it out and if so how long?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Ok the whole running out the door thing that parents complain about gets ON MY NERVES! You can easily fix this problem by installing a lock on TOP of your door!

We put one on all of our doors b/c we have a pool and I did not want the kids sneaking out thinking they could swim without me being there!

EASY FIX FOR A DANGEROUS PROBLEM, GO TO HOME DEPOT!

The other things sound like you have no authority in the household. You have to set up consequences, stick to them, and show them who is in charge.

Get an authoritative tone in your voice, use it well! Keep putting them into timeout no matter how many times they get out until they do their time! Period! It is exhausting, but long term is will work!
    Anonymous

• i come on here to seek advice and have friendly chats with other moms definatly not to get your attitude so please leave it out and we have locks on the tops of the doors they stand on a chair or something they are smarter than the average bears
    Anonymous

• That's a lot of energy going on in the house. I wouldn't give them snacks if they are not going to eat them. Maybe you are feeding them too often and they are not hungry enough to need the snacks. I agree that locks need to be on doors and cabinets where food is. As far as the diaper goes, I'd make sure they have clothes on top of the diaper to make it harder to take off, even put a belt on the pants if necessary. Even if they can take them off it gives you a minute to see what they are doing so you can stop it before the poop gets on the wall. Do you have a fenced yard or a park so they can go outside and run amuck safely? Can you get a family member or a high school teen to come in and help out for an hour or so each day. The kids may just be bored.
    Anonymous

• I don't think the first poster has an attitude. I think she was trying to help. It's possible you are on edge because of what you are going through but don't over react to ppl trying to sincerely help you with this.
    Anonymous

• anon 2:50 - actually, research has shown that authoritarian parenting styles work better in the short term only - long-term, they usually don't, and they often don't even work in the short-term.
    My suggestion would be to look into Connection Parenting - google Scott Noelle, Naomi Aldort, and Pam Leo for resources. There is a lot of information on the internet, and you can also sign up for daily emails from Scott Noelle. Alfie Kohn has also written about Unconditional Parenting extensively, but his stuff is more the research behind it (like what I quoted above), whereas the other authors give you more hands-on, practical ideas.
    Good luck! Hang in there!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 3:07 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• OK I am just telling you I have a 4 and 6 year old and if they stood in our chairs they STILL could not reach the locks on the tops of our doors! So go chase your kids as they run outside...
    Anonymous

• nope anon 3:01 not attitude at all
    Anonymous

• oh sweetie i can relate!!!!lol....omg....i know i hated them as a kid but it's all that works !!! spanking, now ya'll just shush! no more than 3 swats, put them in a time out first IN MOMMY'S BED make sure your room is boring, no make up or anything they can get into, if they dont stay in your bed, 3 swats, with your hand, on their diapered, clothed bums. then right back to your bed. they will get it..eventualy, but you have to be consistant. i got sick of cleaning up food that was asked for and never eaten, so now they dont get snacks. they can wait for dinner. especiallyif they dont eat their lunch/breakfast.
    AND FOR ALL YA'LL WHO THINK I'M SUCH A BAD MOM CUZ I SPANK MY KIDS....right, bite me, look at how todays kids are acting, they werent like this 20 years ago,when spanking was an acceptable form of punishment.
    no more than 3swats with your hand, and wait until YOU are calm before spanking them, i know, i know....
    daughterofearth

Answer by daughterofearth at 7:00 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Ok, get organized momma, baby gates, stack them one on top of the other if you have too for now, Yes they are a pain in the ass, but it is better than living in a war zone. Dumping snacks....snack time is OVER! put duct tape on diapers for now, or clothes they cannot get off themselves. Gate off where they can get chairs. Think smart work smart not hard. You have your hands full, use things to child proof your home for now, they make locks for the fridge get one!
    Anonymous