Have you ever made a move with a baby?

My husband, 3 month old (he'll be 4 months when we move) and I are moving to FL. It's about 9 hours from where we are now. We are packing everything in family member's cars and our own. I'm just nervous about making the trip with him. He is bottle fed. Have you ever moved with an infant? What was your experience and do you have any tips?

acurran88

Asked by acurran88 at 2:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• when we moved my daughter was 7mos, son 26mos. When we arrived I had their rooms as #1 priority. Cribs were assembled, safety outlet covers in, toys spread around, baby mozart playing, etc etc before I even knew where the toilet paper was at.

Mainly for my toddler I tried very hard to re-create the familiar for him as much as possible.... same photos hung on the wall, same things for dinner in his same booster chair, etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:48 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Yes and babies sleep a lot while traveling. When you stop for breaks change him and feed him when you eat.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:49 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I havent moved far...we moved to a different part of town when our son was an infant, so the ride wasnt that bad. My friend moved from Ga to Colorado last month. And she drove! She has friends around the country so she made many stops and had a home to stay at for the night so she and her son could rest. How she did it I dunno lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:49 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• as far as the physically MOVING..... it's like a long car trip. try and have him sleep deprived if possible to ensure as much of a nap as possible. make sure the outfit is easy access for changes and if you're not planning on stopping alot, outfit the carseat w/ a towel or blanket in case of diaper blowouts/leaks. Consider investing in a few new/interesting age appropriate toys and loveys.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:52 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• We moved twice. First was when our son was 3 months and we went from a one-bedroom apartment to a two-bedroom. It was in the same apartment complex, so not a big deal. We just had to walk back and forth a few yards to transfer stuff, LOL. Second time was from that two-bedroom apartment to the house we're living in now. Several trips across town for that. We had our car, DH's parents' truck and his brother's vehicle, all loading and going back and forth LOL.

Anyway, for you...make frequent stops and take him out of the car seat so he doesn't feel confined. I mean do your usual, feed him, walk around with him, cuddle him. Then when you're ready to go again, strap him back in. Your family may get annoyed by the stops, but they need to tough it out. It's not easy as an adult being cramped in a car for hours at a time. Imagine what it's like for a child.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 2:59 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• If your baby is on any type of schedule, try your best to keep to that scedule. Lots of stops, Lots of fun stuff for the whole week of transition. when the kids get bored and tired of riding in the car, everyone's day starts to suck. At 4mos it still should be pretty easy, once they can walk or crawl around it's hard to keep them confined or in a car seat for that long. GL, and enjoy Florida!!
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 3:01 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• We moved when our oldest was 3 or 4 months old. She was mainly breastfed though. We also only moved a few miles - from the country to town. She spent a lot of time with grandma for a few days while I packed and we cleaned the new house & moved. I was wanting to wean and it really helped for her to be gone most of the day. She did fine with it all, but yeah, we didn't have a huge drive to move. Best wishes!
    Anonymous

• I did. We packed up and headed out when he would normally be sleeping. When we got there it was time for him to wake up so we didn't have to stop five hundred times for diaper changes and feedings.
    Anonymous

• My DD was 4 months when we moved, but it was not out of state. My SIL babysat the day we closed and moved in, and my mother took her overnight so we could work on the house the entire next day.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 5:19 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Yes, but not that far. When DD was 5 weeks, we moved across the apartment building to a bigger apartment. That was pretty easy, since we had 2 weeks to get everything from one apt to the other. When DD was 15 mos, we moved 45-60 mins away. To an apartment above my parents. That was easy as well. DH worked 10 mins from where we were moving to, and worked overnights. I spent the night before the move there with DD, and when DH got off work around 7 am, he picked me up with a couple of his friends, and my parents cared for DD while we moved. It was a little sucky since I was like, 8ish weeks pregnant and had morning sickness, but all in all it went well. I don't know HOW I'd do a move that far. Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy your new home.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:47 PM on Jun. 8, 2010