when do babies start holding their own bottles?

My baby(11 months) wont hold his bottle up! I mean he will hold it when hes laying down, but if hes sitting at the table or whatever, he holds it down, so he sucks on air. If we try to put his arms up to show him to hold it like that, he lets go and wants us to hold it for him while he drinks. And if we dont hold it up he throws a fit and throws it on the floor. Am i expecting him to hold it too soon, or is he just spoiled. Ive seen babies smaller than him at stores holding their bottles fine...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• DD (9 mo) wont tip her sippy up either, so we got her straw cups and she loves them
    Nicsone

Answer by Nicsone at 3:07 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• try a sippy cup!! theres nothing that says you cant give formula in a sippy cup. they have ones that have straws so he doesnt have to tilt it to drink it. Its also a great way to start breaking him of the bottle habit so take this as a positive! =)
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 2:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• He's not spoiled. He's a baby that enjoys the cuddle one on one time and the comfort of being in someone's arms. It is much like adults enjoying dinner with others rather than dining all alone. It's not about "can" its about "need" he needs to be held because at that age a want is a need. It's also very tiring to have to tilt a bottle sitting up and sucking on it. Try holding one of those jumbo 3 liter soda bottles and take swigs without putting it down! If at a table eating solids with the rest of the family, offer a cup with a straw lid. If giving a bottle hold him and enjoy the moment while it lasts. It will be over soon and you will miss it.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:07 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• my kids never held their own bottle. That could be because whenever they got a bottle I was holding them. We never had bottles at the table nor where they able to run around with a bottle in their mouths.
    Hanaas_mommy

Answer by Hanaas_mommy at 3:21 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Babies will not hold their own bottles until they're forced to, and for me personally, it's sad to see a little baby having to hold it's own bottle. At 11 mos, your son is more than able to be drinking from a sippy cup. Now might be a great time to introduce it to him. It will help eliminate the whole bottle habit which will be hard on him to have to break.
    Anonymous

• Why do you give your child a bottle in the high chair? I wouldn't want to hold it up either if I were sitting straight up! His little arms get tired! Give him a sippy in the chair, and hold him with his bottle. Plain and simple. Would you want to sit in a straightback chair and drink a bottle by yourself?
    Anonymous

• OP- He has plenty of sippy cups but he doesnt hold them up either! He knows how to drink from them and everything just not hold it up to keep drinking.
    Anonymous

• maybe try a sippy with a straw so he doesnt have to hold it up
    Cecilydw

Answer by Cecilydw at 6:32 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I've got to agree with anon 12:34. It's very sad for a baby to have to hold their own bottle. Holding an infant while feeding them promotes bonding and instills a sense of security and it's VERY comforting. I'm not anti-bottle, as I pumped a lot of breast milk the first few months before my son got the hang of breastfeeding. I would encourage you to hold your baby and give him the bottle every time.
    Anonymous