how do you know when to switch from slow flow to medium flow?

I have a 1 month old who takes an hour+ to eat 2-3 ounces... wandering how you know when to try medium flow?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• what bottles do you use?
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 3:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• If it seems that the baby is sucking really hard and reddening in the face, it's time to change. Be careful when you change the nipple because the baby will not expect it and can choke at first. It shouldn't take so long to eat 2-3 ounces.
    Anonymous

• Someone told me that you always use slow flow with breastmilk. Not sure why. I switched from breastmilk to formula at 6 months and switched my daughter to medium flow around 7 months. I tried out the fast flow and she would choke, so then I tried the medium flow and they worked great. She eats alot faster now. I think they have ages on the packages that say 6+ months.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 5:29 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I would try to switch and see how it goes. I don't think it should take that long to feed the baby.
    Cecilydw

Answer by Cecilydw at 6:31 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I don't think there's any reason to switch to the faster flow ones. If bottles are supposed to be substituting for the breast, the breast doesn't change unless the baby sucks harder or faster. If it's for the parents' convenience because it takes to long for the baby to eat, I think that's selfish. Why get a kid started so young scarfing down a meal in minutes?
    Anonymous

• "Someone told me that you always use slow flow with breastmilk. Not sure why. "

If you are nursing with the occasional bottle, you stick with slow flow to avoid nipple preference.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:36 AM on Jun. 9, 2010