How can I help my 21 month old gain weight?

Everytime we go to the pediatrician they say she needs to gain some weight. She's 21 months and just barely 20 lbs. She has a fairly decent appetite and isn't drinking liquid all day long. In fact, there are some days where it seems like she eats non stop. Does anybody have any foods that worked for them? We already have her on whole milk and use Carnation Instant Breakfast (per her pediatrician). Sometimes she's pretty picky about what she eats and other times she'll eat whatever is put in front of her. She was a preemie and has always been small (height and weight), but I feel like I need to get some fat on her! She's almost 2 and is small enough that she is still wearing 12 month clothes and even some of those are falling off. Any thoughts?

tawny77

Asked by tawny77 at 3:15 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• have her drink whole milk... lots of fat and protein.
    Anonymous

• Yep. My son was preemie too and he is almost 3 and weighs 26 lbs. Plus genetics plays a role too. Me nor my husband are big people so it's just not in the cards for him to be. He keeps his ran off. Don't worry about it.
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 3:18 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• You could send her to my house i apparently have a knack for gaining weight theses days!!

I wouldnt worry too much about it. You dont want bad fat on her from fattening foods. Just make sure she is eating healthy and balanced and it should work itself out. Give her plenty of protien and whole grains.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:21 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• my 27 month old daughter is only 22 maybe 23 pounds. her twin is 26 pounds. they were not preemies, and had decent birth weights. some people are small, that's all! i would not try to fatten her up if i were you. it sounds like she has a typical 2 yo appetite. unless you are worried about cognitive development as well, then i really wouldn't worry. good fats come from nuts, avocados, olive oil and fish.
    don't worry mama!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:25 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• try avocados, cheeses, things like that...good fats...if she was a preemie, then it sounds pretty typical. don't worry. the pedis always go by a chart....my daughter is 21 months and 27 pounds...I can't help that she's in the 90%...she eats healthy and her grandpas were both very tall. just do what you're doing. Little ones know their appetite better than anyone. If you force a baby/toddler to eat, they have a tendency to be obese later in life. just don't give her junk, she'll never learn to eat healthy. it sounds like you are doing a good job. Just a suggestion, they make similac Go n Grow for babies 9-24 months. It's loaded with calories, maybe give that a try :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 4:29 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• My son was a preemie too! When they wanted/needed him to gain weight last yr we did flaxseed oil and olive oil (not at the same time, we alternated). We put it in his drinks and on breads and pastas and any other food we could mix it in. It worked great!
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 9:01 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• get her some ensure, adult kind. It will not hurt her or carnation insinsit breakfast. My 6 yr old only weighs 30lbs so I know it sucks!
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 9:19 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• avacados, cheese, yogurt, add olive oil to anything you can. These are all high in calories and still very good for you. Maybe you just have a thin child. I think PEds get waaayyy too worked up over needing all kids to be the same weigh and height. Adults come in all shapes and sizes right?
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Has her growth pattern been consistent? My 2nd son is literally off the bottom of the charts and almost always has been. He's very tall and very thin. He eats EVERYTHING. He never STOPS eating. He's just... tall and thin. Our ped told us as long as the growth pattern is consistent, not to worry about it.

But.. Since you ARE worrying...

Whole milk, avacadoes, carnation instant breakfast is good. Offer her food at every turn... And let her eat what she wants, when she wants.

I was underweight when my grandmother got custody of me... The doc said to let me eat whatever, whenever. A week later, I'd put on five pounds. :)
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 10:25 PM on Jun. 8, 2010