lol

Why is it that when you want to see people use good grammar and spelling that you're told to become an English teacher? As if good spelling and grammar have no place in the world besides in school? Weird...

MamaRae85

Asked by MamaRae85 at 3:17 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• because school is when theres a teacher there grading you for your spelling and grammar, not cafemom. grammer and spelling is not that serious on cafemom. for example, when im talking on the internet, i find no need to type any capitals unless im trying to "yell" or something like that.
    believe me, its annoying when i see some questions or answers that make NO sense and i have no idea what theyre even saying because the grammer and spelling is that bad, but there are some grammer and spelling nazi's on here. i really could give a shit less if me or someoe else messes up spelling or grammar alittle bit and doesnt type perfectly like were in english class getting graded for this, because were not.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:22 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• plus some women on here use grammar and spelling as an insult and its so stupid.
    like, ill type something about religion or abortion or something that someone doesnt agree with, and so as a comeback they'll say something like "why dont you learn proper grammer before you tell me about religion" or theyll point out where i spelt a word wrong and its just dumb.. who cares.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:23 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• my english teachers in high school could not even speak properly. lol
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:28 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I disagree with the above on some points...I find it harder to take someone seriously if the writing is poor. I don't mean typos because we all have those if we're in a hurry...but come on. "They're" "Their" and "There" are NOT the same word. They all have very different meanings. Just because they sound the same, that doesn't mean they are interchangeable. It's just like if I read an article about something that was full of mistakes. Even if the information were true, I would have a hard time considering it a credible source if the person couldn't even properly use the English language. So yeah...if you are arguing a point and it's full of ELEMENTARY grammar mistakes...it's easy to assume that you have no idea what you're talking about.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 3:29 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• why does it matter how people are typing on a computer? maybe some people have pudgy fingers..
    Anonymous

• because people are lazy, and they don't want to be told they are lazy.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 3:32 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I hear ya! Some of these posts have no punctuation and every other word is spelled wrong and it makes me wonder how they function in their lives! I know some words are tricky,or you're typing too fast or what not,but it makes me wonder how they got through school with so little knowledge of the English language!
    Anonymous

• And nobody likes to have their faults pointed out.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 3:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I was going to use 'there' instead, but couldn't. LOL!
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 3:35 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• lol Anon! And I do agree that it's not that big of a deal in this type of forum, I just like to use it and will probably be a grammar nazi with my kids. And I HATE when people use it as an insult in the questions. It's irrelevant to most conversations. But it IS super irritating to have NO IDEA what a person is saying in a question. Erg.
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 3:39 PM on Jun. 8, 2010