What would you do and how would you feel if your SO proposed but you didn't feel like it was "romantic"?

This isn't my situation or anything, I just finished watching cute proposal videos on youtube lol, but it made me wonder what if a girl imagined this big elaborate romantic proposal all her life but when it finally happened it wasn't very romantic?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i think the fact that a man is interested in being with one person for the rest of his life and that person being me is romantic enough.

KristaRene

Answer by KristaRene at 4:03 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• We need to focus more on what we do get and not what we don't get. The proposal itself should outweigh anything else.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:20 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• happens all the time. I always dreamed of being in a really nice dress, at a really nice restaurant, after a wonderfully romantic evening...

A week after our breakup, devastated, I made the 4 hr drive to where he was... kinda... I was lost in OKC... he ran 2mi from where he was, picked me up, hugged me massively, and said, "You'll marry me, won't you? Please don't say no!"

So no, it wasn't an overly romantic proposal like I imagined, but for me, well worth the 5 year wait! And here we are, 2 years later! ; ) I could have been very disappointed too.. like, if he just sat next to me watching tv and said, "We should get married." yeah... that'd be pretty lame.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:21 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• if i wanted to be with the man who proposed for the rest of my life i wouldn't care. i'd just be happy he wants me to be his wife.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 3:23 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I agree with admckenzie. After all don't we want so bad to get engaged? The guys have to already stress out about the ring ( because they don't know if we'll like it or not, and what might not look romantic to us, might be for them. I think the girl should just be happy with that. They need to stop watching SOAP OPERAS
    DeLaiz

Answer by DeLaiz at 3:24 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Mine was not romantic at all...but perfect for us. We were laying in bed one night watching tv and talking. He rolled over said "hey ya wanna?" And handed me a ring. I said yes, we kissed and that was that. Simple and to the point. I had always imagined the big romantic dinner or being out somewhere and everyone watching, but I could not be happier with how it all worked out-i got my dream guy and have been married almost 9 years now. In the grand scheme of things it is the "after" that matters-not the proposal itself.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 3:25 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• my fiance is not romantic in any way. i would have loved a public proposal where he got down on one knee and all that but i got him going to the car getting the ring and he just sat next to me and asked. i love him so it wasnt a big deal. the ring is not really my style either, but it's pretty. i'm just grateful he finaly proposed.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:26 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• My wedding wasn't what I dreamed it would be but I still loved it.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 3:29 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I also dreamed of the perfect proposal since I was little. you know he would show up, we would go to eat then maybe a movie. And when we were leaving he would get down on one knee in front of EVERYone and make this nice long speech then ask me. Everyone would clap and share in our joy.

Yeah, didn't happen that way LOL. BUT I would NOT have it any other way. All that matters is that he DID propose.
    We were at my house (still lived with my parents) a couple days before i was moving out of state with him. We were going to go out to dinner but my parents decided they were going out and I had to watch my younger siblings.I was upstairs getting more of my things to put in my car for the move. When I came back in he was sitting in Dad's recliner. He told me to sit on his lap that he had something for me. When I sat down he pulled out the ring and asked me. Not the way I planned it, but still beautiful to me. We married in 1997.
    Anonymous

• LOL Dh's proposal wasn't very romantic but I didn't care. I knew I wanted to marry him, I didn't need a grand gesture. IMO if you NEED a grand gesture, then you need to re-prioritize.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 3:31 PM on Jun. 8, 2010