Pediatrician

im 26 pregnant with my first baby. and i think its about time i start looking for a good pediatrician. im going to ask around for recommendation from my family/friends/relatives and will search for some online too. but then we're going to pick one which my DH and i will think is most suitable i.e. super friendly, experienced etc.
so are their any specific things i should be looking in a Pediatrician ? and what are the most important questions i should be asking him/her ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• I know this sounds silly but ask them about their own personal habits. Do they smoke? Etc. I had a pediatrician that was a very good dr but he reeked of cigar smoke when he'd care for my child and when you drove by the office you could see him smoking on the back porch from the road. What kind of an example does that set for young kids?
    Anonymous

• If you have a children's hospital nearby, go there and hang out in the lobby or parking lot. Start asking employees which pediatrician would they recommend. Sounds crazy, but will the person you are asking about give you bad press about themselves?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 3:35 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• imo, the most important questions is do you have a partner/s, who takes calls for you when you are unavailable and what are your office hours.
    I know a lot of moms around here go in and interview the docs, and many practices have "information nights" once a month, to tell families about themselves and their policies.

Also, if there is anything very important to you like the docs views on breastfeeding or circumcision or WHATever, make sure you talk about that.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 3:40 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• When we chose our son's pediatrician, we started with those who took our insurance (got a list from our provider), then we called the offices of the ones we were interested in based on location & services provided. We asked about doctor's availability, hours, staff make up, sick visits, and hospital affiliations, and extra charges, if any (for letters, signing paperwork, for after hours emergencies, etc.). Since we knew that we would need a pediatrician who was familiar with children with special needs, that was another factor in our choice (our son came 6 wks early, so he was already here when we started looking).
    Anonymous

• Make sure its one that doesn't think he/she knows it all. I have been threw doctor after doctor because they always tried to make me feel like I didn't know what I was talking about. Make sure the doctor talks to you see how long their average WAIT time is with a sick appointment and a well baby appointment. See how long the average waiting room wait time is too. If they have way too many patients then you will have to wait hours in the waiting room. My children's doctor they can get a sick appointment the same day, well child appointment the next day and we only wait in the waiting room for more than 15 minutes, my nephews doctor the waiting room wait is 2 hours and my sister can't get him in the same week she makes the appointment even if he is sick. My children's doctor is a family doctor not a pedi. If your going to do immunizations make sure your doctor supports that decision, as well if your not going to vax.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:17 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• It is hard having a doctor that doesn't support your decisions. Sorry the reply was so long.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:18 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• We made our decision the first time based on which drs had privileges at the hospital where we delivered and which ones were part of our insurance network. We ended up switching later to one that was closer to home and who was more knowledgable and supportive of delaying solid foods and extended breastfeeding and cosleeping. Our first pediatrician I don't think even had kids, but she stood there telling me what I was doing was wrong if I didn't introduce foods in the order she suggested or leave the baby to CIO at 8 months in the middle of the night, so I wasn't comfortable with her anymore. The dr we switched to had 3 sons, all were breastfed, and he is much more laid back and realistic about scheduling/feeding/sleeping/etc. There is a 24 hour answer line we can call to speak to a nurse if we need to, we can almost always get same-day sick appts, and they are only a few miles from our house.
    Anonymous

• We have never taken our daughter to a pediatrian. My daughter, spouse and I, my sister and her family, and several friends all see the same family practice doctor.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:19 PM on Jun. 8, 2010