i'm afraid to be a single mom. any advice?

i'm leaving my so because he doesn't help me at all with our son and he's always treating me like crap. i don't have a job right now so i'm going to move back in with my dad in another state. i'm glad i'm leaving because i'm unhappy and i know my son deserves better. i'm just worried i won't be a good enough mom on my own. any advice for newly single mothers?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• I agree, you are already doing it on your own. And your son will have a father figure, living with your dad, which is good. For school, things like CNA and phlebotomy are short, you can look into those. I am in the CNA course now. I take the night class, and it's 6-10. Something like that might work out for you, childcare wise, if it would work for your dad helping you. The CNA course is like 8-10 weeks, something like that, you take the state test, then you can work. But by wanting to make a better life for your son, I think you are already being a good mom. Look for help, resources for help. They are there, you just have to go find them.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 3:57 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• you can do it. it's tough, no doubt, but if you have been taking care of your son while married, you will be able to do it now... AND, you'll have family around... when you get a job your son will go into childcare, yet you'll STILL be raising your son.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 3:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I did it and it was much easier to do without hubby putting me down all the time. I felt like i did everything on my own before but now I just do it and wake up peaceful daily. Just get organized so you stay on top of stuff. It makes it easier to get to work and the babysitters daily. It will be hard at first but save as much as you can while at your dads so you will have money when you move out. YOu dont have to be super mom. cook a few meals at a time and freeze them so you will have easy suppers when you get home. Use the crockpot if you can. It will be so much easier if dinner is halfway prepared when you get home. U may not have to worry about food at first but in the future it is better to plan ahead and find shortcuts so you have more time with your child in the evenings.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:36 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• It's okay to be afraid. Just do your best for your son and you! Keep your head up. Try to find a job :o) or go back to school. I heard that CCA(Child Care Asst.) helps with single mothers who go to school and/or work. It won't be free for you child to go to daycare but discounted I believe. Or there is HeadStart programs that help low income.
    Anonymous

• I was a better mom once I got away from my abusive x.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:50 PM on Jun. 8, 2010