Can you put pepperspray/mace on or around a plant without killing the plant?

Need to keep some animals away from my garden. I don't want to poison the critters just make them not want to come near the plants.

jenmerk

Asked by jenmerk at 3:37 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Home & Garden

• pepperspray souldnt hurt. i dont think mase would be good though becaue it has a black light reflective chemichal in it.
    Anonymous

• I put red pepper spice like what you put on pizza around my plants and I got 100+ little hot pepper plants :) Try Pepper Flakes too.
    Anonymous

• It's anon 3:59, I forgot to say that it did work for squirrels.

Anonymous

• A master gardener at a workshop I went to suggested mixing egg whites with cayenne pepper and either painting it onto the plant leaves or thinning it with water to spray it on. It has to be re-applied after it rains each time though.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 7:13 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Pepper works, and there is a product called behave in the pet section that works too.
    Anonymous