TV is bad.. But what about computers?!

I limit my 3.5yo TV time to 1hr or less of TV a day & thats only for morning cartoons before we start moving in the morning.

Recently she has began loving the computer, she can turn it on, get into Paint or any of her games she liked by herself.... Now she CONSTANTLY wants to be on the computer!

So what are your thoughts about how much time young kids should spend on the computer?

She plays in paint, Purple Place (kids game that came w/our computer), and a Hooked On Phonics program that is about letters. Sometimes I will get her online on a PBS/sesame st. site as well..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I treat all electronic media the same way, be it tv, computer or video games
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• TV is only bad for your child if they sit down and constantly watch it without moving. If you allow your kids endless hours of TV without any excersise or outside play, then it can become harmfull to your child. Due to them not excersising, and endless TV is a strain on the eyes. It isn't harmful in general though, just in excess.

My kids watch morning cartoons and a movie during the day, but he rarely sits there and watches all the way through. We play together or he plays by himself while it plays in the background.

As far as the computer. His father and I are on our computer a lot, so it'll be hard to limit his time on here. I don't think that I'd let my kid on the computer really until they're at least 5. Then it'll be only 30 minutes a day.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:22 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I allow my 3.5 yo 35 minutes of computer games each day. She loves nick jr games. I set an egg timer while she plays.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:47 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I would keep the computer extremely limited. It is not as though your child needs that now, or that he will not learn it eventually... but I think we have no idea how computer-addicted the newest generation is going to be!!! I mean, look at us!!!
    Anonymous