At what age do you leave your children in the tub alone?

Not to wash themselves, but like to play and stuff.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• My DD is 4.5 and I still don't. It only takes a few seconds for them to swollow water and drown
    leslie_zoe2010

Answer by leslie_zoe2010 at 4:07 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I let my 2 1/2 year old play in the tub.. I drain most of the water out and let him play.
    Anonymous

• I asked my pediatrician this question. She said not to under any circumstances before they are 8 years old. Then they can begin learning to bathe themselves. She said she has seen kids who were 4-6 come in almost dead when she worked as an ER doctor because their parents thought it was ok for them to play for a few minutes while they cooked dinner or answer a call. Things happen. Don't take that chance.
    Anonymous

• 2 1/2 is WAY TOO YOUNG! A child can drown in less than an inch of water! If the child stands and slips & hits thier head they can drown in a very small amount of water very easily. It's unbelievable what I read on CM sometimes!
    Anonymous

• I've been letting my DD play alone in the tub since age 2.5. She is almost 4 now. I am right outside the bathroom in our loft, hearing everything and checking often. The girl will stay in the tub for over an hour playing. I wash her up myself still.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:42 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• It is not worth taking the chance of your child dying because you want to multi-task or utilize the time better. I'd rather sit on the bathroom floor and play with her...
    leslie_zoe2010

Answer by leslie_zoe2010 at 4:50 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• My DD is 6 and she showers, and i'm still in the room with her because she could slip and fall.
    Anonymous

• My child fell in the tub last week. Since I CAN HEAR her, despite not being right next to the tub, she was fine. I was in the bathroom in 2 seconds. Yeah, had I ignored her, and not payed attention to the sounds coming from the bathroom, she could have drown. Since I LISTEN it didn't happen. :) :)

Anonymous

• 3.5-4 but they take showers not baths. Playing isn't something they do in the bath.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:32 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• My daughter is 2.5 and I let her play in the tub with little water and toys. I live in a 2 bedrm apt so Im normally right outside the door on in the bathroom cleaning, or at the laundry room which is next to the bathroom. I keep my eyes on her and Im constantly listening for whats going on. She knows if she stands up, she has to get out. No exceptions.
    Anonymous