I breastfed for three weeks after giving birth to my daughter. She was my second child. I am wondering how long it takes for your period to return?

shennaharper

Asked by shennaharper at 4:15 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It varies. I'm breastfeeding my DD, and breastfed my DS. It took a month and a half for my period to return after both of my children's births.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 4:16 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• okay thank you. she was 6 weeks old yesterday so i hope to have one soon i guess...
    shennaharper

Answer by shennaharper at 4:18 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I breastfeed for 7 months, it took about a month and a half for me too
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 4:47 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• It can take up to a year for normal periods to resume. If you BF it can take even longer. I have been BF my son and he is now 4 months old. I still have not had a period, but that is because BF hormones stops menstruation. If you only BF for 3 weeks then your periods should resume within 2 months. Why are you so anxious for it to come back?? Enjoy it!
    mercilove

Answer by mercilove at 5:38 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I had a regular period monthly once I was 6 weeks PP with my first two. I'm now BFing my 3rd who is 5 and a half months old and still no period. One of my closest friends BF both of her babies for nearly a year and never had a period until 4 months after she weaned them (yep more than a year with no period). When you're BFing anything goes and every woman is different. Some have regular periods. Some have light periods every 3 months or so and some have no periods at all.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:41 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I'm currently exclusively breast feeding my 7 week old baby and I already had my period at 5 1/2 weeks postpartum.
    Anonymous

• There's no good answer because every mother and every pregnancy is different. I started again at around six weeks with my first and didn't start back for 16 months with my second. Both were exclusively breastfed, so I have no clue why it was so different. I have a friend who did not breastfeed at all and didn't start for six months! So, go figure, lol. I'd say always be prepared because it could happen at any time.
    DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 7:23 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• It's different for everyone. Mine returned sporatically around 6 months PP
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:17 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• yup what new mom 808 said
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 11:03 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I haven't had mine return yet and I'm at 4 months. I'm still breast feeding.
    joates76

Answer by joates76 at 11:29 PM on Jun. 8, 2010