why is she acting like this?

for the last week or so my dd has been latching on to my leg and throwing out and out fits over something as simple as me not picking up a baby she just threw on the ground. she just turned 2, and her fits have been getting more and more horrible, and longer. we discipline and we're consistent, but she's hardly ever in trouble..we can usually tell her no, and she's stops. she's having fits over everything, and i'm in tears by the end of the day everyday. i spend alot of time with her, so she's not lacking in attention,..i feel like i'm at a breaking point. i need advice on how to keep my sanity and deal with my dd. don't tell me i'm a bad mom and that she needs more attention, because neither are true.
oh, i also watch a little boy during the day, so it's hard to get out during the day,..but i've had him for months now, so i don't think this is a backlash to that

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i'm truly beginning to dread the day knowing that she's going to act the same as the day before..she has some good days, some days where you say something to her, and she'll just look at you and start tearing up..and then there are days that are fit after fit after fit...and it's starting to rub off on the little boy i keep. :(
    Anonymous

• I am TOTALLY going through the same thing, my DD turned two on May 28th and it is like she became possessed!!! I literally just put her down, walk away and completely ignore her. If she follows me I just walk around her, do what I am doing, and try really hard to act like she just isn't there. When she is done with her fit I sit her down and talk to her like a big girl, I tell her that the behavior is unacceptable, and she is NOT to act that way. I tell her if she wants to continue to act that way Mommy will not help her with whatever she is upset about. Usually she is having a hard time telling me what she wants, so when she is done and I'm done "lecturing her" I tell her to "show me" and usually the problem is solved. It realy is hard to just ignore it though.
    Anonymous

• it's a phase... just keep doing what you are doing, and make sure you reinforce the positive behavior as well. she wants to see your reaction. if you don't reaction, then she'll learn that acting out won't help much. lol. my 2 year old still does this, but i just tell her that i can't understand her while she is screaming... and that maybe she should pick up her toys to cool down. works SOMETIMES. lol.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 5:00 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• It's a phase. I went through that when my oldest was 2. I also had a newborn baby I was tending to at the same time. I too dreaded each morning. But, she's now a happy healthy 3.5 yr old. Now her little brother just turned 2 and he's in that yucky phase. This too shal pass. Ignore the tantrums and give lots of love in between.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:06 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• welcome to the terrible twos!!!!! you poor thing!!! it might seem like all you do is give her heck, right? i know. my little guy would literally throw himself around, i would sit him on my knee, wrap my arms around him and tell him "im not letting you go, until you calm down" and yeah, sometimes i cried too, and i noticed he would stop crying when i started....sometimes i would pretend to cry, and tell him he was making me very sad mommy. then he would stop and try to comfort me! lol.....lots of ways honey, lots, and no one way is perfect, if she doesn't throw herself around, tell her she's going to MOMMY'S ROOM until she calms down. uasualy they will cry themselves to sleep . your not a bad mom, your doing great, and when they turn 3, they get cute again.
    daughterofearth

Answer by daughterofearth at 6:12 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I'm sorry. DS is the same way. For us each "phase" lasts about a week, then he's back to his normal self, for a few weeks. Just about the time I think I'm gonna have to send him off to boarding school before he even knows his colors, everything is fine again. I swear they know, better than us, where that line is.
    Just stay consistant.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:32 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• When my DD throws a temper tantrum, I pick her up, hug her, take her to the couch and we sit down together until she calms down. She's usually done crying by the time we make it to the couch and after a couple of minutes of hugs and kisses she is back to playing like nothing happened.
    TheBodyShopMom

Answer by TheBodyShopMom at 10:47 PM on Jun. 8, 2010