Would purposely get pregnant if you didn't have room and it would make your budget tight?

Here’s the situation: I am two years into my four year degree in radiology and I work full time at my local govt. My DH works as a manager at a restaurant and applied for a position to run his own store (he or one other person will get it), at which point his salary would double. We have a two year old and we have really seriously been discussing having another. I really want to, but if he doesn’t get the job when I quit work (next fall-to go to school full time) our budget would be pretty tight (w. part time day care for two), and the new baby wouldn’t get its’ own room, and DD’s room is tiny as it is. We REALLY want to have another baby, but it stresses me out knowing there is a possibility wouldn’t be able to move into a larger home and we would be tight on cash. Would you get pregnant now or no?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• I'd say no. I waited when I had a similar situation until I knew what was going to happen. It sucked to wait, but it was worth it.
    Anonymous

• Well, I'm the kind of believer that if you wait til you have enough money you never will do it. I'm currently pregnant with my third. Was it the best time in the world for us...no, but I didn't want to be any older. Plus I wanted my kids closer together in age. You will manage if you decide to get pregnant. If you are having problems putting food on the table then I would say wait. If you are worried...just wait and see if your hubby gets that job and go from there. Best of luck to you!
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 5:24 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• NO

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 5:26 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Heck no! Finish your degree and get a job first. Also wait until your health benefits kick in so your pregnancy is not deemed a "pre-existing condition."
    Anonymous

• OP HERE: We are, by no means, having trouble putting food on the table, nor would we once I quit. We just wouldn't have much "extra" money. We would still be able to pay all of our bills, buy whatever we needed for both our DD and a new baby, put some money into our savings and some money into a college account for DD, but until I finish school we would be tight on ANYTHING extra.. no mini-vacations.. no new wardrome for momma.. no new car if something goes wrong with one of ours.. that kind of stuff.. basically nothing extra unless it is an emergency.
    Anonymous

• OP HERE: I have full coverage from both of our jobs, so that isn't an issue. When I had my DD, the cost was over $10,000 and we literally paid nothing.
    Anonymous

• Then you already made your decision. So what are you asking us for?
    Anonymous

• OP HERE: I have not made a decision.. I'm asking opinions of what other moms would do.
    Anonymous

• I wasn't trying to accuse or bash you in anyway...so I hope you didn't take it as such. If you did I apologize. The comment about the food was just a that...a comment. I understand what it is like to be on a tight budget. We are too and like I said we are prego with #3. We are also able to pay our bills and everything that is needed. There is just not a lot leftover. What does your DH say? Does he want to wait?
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 5:37 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I sure did!!! I knew that if I started putting my career 100% before my family, it would never change. There is never a perfect time, and things always come out. You'll be amazed what you can do if you really hunker down on a "tight" budget. You don't have to have everything, you just need to feed, clothe and house your children. I think we grow from learning to make things work. If you're ready and eager to have another child, I would not wait for the perfect moment... the perfect moment doesn't exist. I'm about to finally finish my doctoral dissertation with two beautiful children under 4 years old. I took me twice as long as I thought, but I wouldn't change it for the world. We haven't saved what we have liked to, but we have enjoyed our lives so far and plan to keep moving forward. I look at people trying to make things perfect before family life starts and I feel like they're just missing out.
    Anonymous