BREASTFEEDING

FOR HOW LONG SHOULD I BREASTFEED WHEN I HAVE MY BABY? WILL SHE LET GO ON HER OWN? IM DUE IN TWO WEEKS? AT WHAT AGE SHOULD I STOP BRESSTINDING MY KID

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:28 PM on Jun. 27, 2008 in Pregnancy

• It's up to you. Many women wait until their baby is 1 year. Some don't do it as long and some do it for years. Even if you can just do it for a few weeks, it's better than nothing. Good luck!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:29 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I won't lie, breastfeeding is very hard when you first start, but if you're determined to have sucess at it then most likely you will. I was always told to let the baby nurse on one breast for 15 to 20 minutes and the second one 10 to 15. Your baby should want to eat at least every two hours when you first start. The recommended age to stop breastfeeding is 12 months, although it really depends on you and your baby on how long you nurse. Good luck.
    April_418

Answer by April_418 at 7:42 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I am not sure but u should ask a doctor
    Anonymous

• AS LONG AS YOU WANT!! Join one of the breastfeeding groups, they have wonderful consultants in there that can really help you get going. I recommend at LEAST one year, but you can go as long as you feel comfortable! I am still going strong at 14 months and I love it.
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 8:21 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Pediatriacians will generally recommend a year since cow's milk is supposed to be off limits to their tiny tummies. But as long as you feel comfy. Remember it is kind of difficult to get started. After all neither of you have done it before so maybe consult with a lactation person at the hospital. My daughter was gung ho about it. She would still be going if I didn't stop her. My son stopped on his own at ten months. So it will vary. Good Luck!!
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:49 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I did it for 6 months just couldnt take anymore in the beginning it was VERY hard than she got good at it. But i just couldnt motivate myself to want to do it ne more. Sometimes i wish i stilll was doing it because it was cheap
    rach7787

Answer by rach7787 at 9:51 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Your body, your choice. However, know that even if you don't want to do it, at least give her that first week!! That is the best for babies
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 11:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• You can do whatever works for you. I breastfed for 14 months, but I have many friends who did it for two to six months. It is the best thing for your baby, but it has to fit into your situation. Also, it is difficult at first and a bit painful (a lot of people don't mention that) but if you make it through the first three weeks it is a piece of cake and wonderful.
    bumpfashion

Answer by bumpfashion at 5:14 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• You should visit LaLecheLeague.org. It's very useful and can mail or recommend literature. I was only able to breastfeed 6 months and 4 months for my two children, but I believe that time was very useful in aiding their imune system development. Some women breast feed up to two years, but the average is until they are one and can go to homogenized milk.
    SkyeStorm

Answer by SkyeStorm at 10:35 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• That is completely up to you and your baby. The recommendation by the WHO is 2 years or more and the American Academy of Peds. reccomends at least a year. If you get help from a lactation consultant when you need it, you will find its really easy. My daughter is 10 months and I plan to go as long as possible, though I want to get pregnant with my second soon. I will nurse for at least a year then play it by ear. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me!
    amp83

Answer by amp83 at 7:00 PM on Jul. 9, 2008