How to not make your toddler not feel jealous of the baby in mommy's tummy

My DD is due in Nov, and has a 2 1/2 yr old. How can she tell her to be careful when she is playing or jumping up for hugs and lap time without her feeling jealous of her baby sister in mommy's belly.

TorisGrammie

Asked by TorisGrammie at 5:41 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• when I was expecting #2 and son #1 wanted to play rough or jump I just reminded him he couldn't be rough with mama he had to be gentle to mama's belly. We would practice gentle touches (ie light touches on the arm or soft pats on the tummy or back) so he would know to be gentle but would also be getting good 1 on 1 time. Also, I used my cell phone to record the heartbeat at one of my doctor appointments and let my son listen to it telling him it was the baby. He would ask to hear it over and over again (still does).

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:19 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• My son was the same age when I was pregnant with my DD. We just explained to him that he had to be careful because there was a baby in mommy's tummy and that we had to protect it and keep it safe.

Once he felt like we "needed" his help in keeping the baby safe and taking care of her, he was fine. He would tell people that it was his baby and would talk to my tummy.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 5:47 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• My DD asked me yesterday if she could get in my tummy too.

I agree with PP
    leslie_zoe2010

Answer by leslie_zoe2010 at 5:49 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• She seems to grasp the idea that her baby sister is in there and talks, reads, kisses her. She even told her ssh it's night night time. LOL When she is focused on her she is fine it's the accidental bumps and spontaneous hugs, jumps etc. We can seem to find the right words we want to say....for ex. if she jumps to hug mommy and is too rough we don't want to say you're hurting the baby because she might feel pushed aside for it. We've said careful so you don't hurt mommy, but looking for something better.. Love the need your help idea.
    TorisGrammie

Answer by TorisGrammie at 6:02 PM on Jun. 8, 2010