Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family member is holding IRS check hostage.....

My DH's grandfather is holding a IRS check hostage. It's a check from over ten years ago before we married. He was living at his grandfather's house, working and going to school and paying rent. I guess somehow the IRS sent it out and sent it to the address on the tax form which was his grandfather's address. The check is nearly a thousand dollars. We could really use the money right now. But his grandfather is saying that since my DH is his grandson, he should give him the money because he was owed two months rent from ten years ago. Wth?!.... My DH is so upset with his grandfather right now because he is lying. His aunt (who lives with the grandfather) has even threatened to sign the check and cash it UNLESS DH comes to do it himself. I stay out of it because DH's family has a history of shady crap like this. But can we tell the IRS to cancel the check and issue another and send it to our address??


Asked by Anonymous at 6:06 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (14)
  • Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

  • get the check..... let grandpa know you're broke as a joke and will run the check over to a bank and return to his home w/ his rent portion .... don't though.

    dealing w/ the IRS will take forever.... OK unless u are truly needing that $$$

    Answer by hibbingmom at 6:09 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

  • If the check isn't cashed, it is no good now. I believe they have either a 6 month or a 3 year retainer on all refund checks. And if the aunt tries to sign it and cash it - she is committing fraud, a felony.

    Answer by RutterMama at 6:11 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

  • Call the IRS and tell them the check was stolen or lost and they will reissue it to your address.GL


    Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:11 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

  • They would get into big troubke if they are sighning your checks

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:13 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

  • I agree with ruttermama, I believe she is right, have your hubby call IRS and explain he never received the check they should place a stop payment on that check once they verify it's never been cashed and reissue another-I wouldn't even bother telling them the other situation just simply say he never received the check.

    Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 6:13 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

  • I think you will have to talk to the IRS. They will research it and then send the rightful owner a new check. Might take a while but at least you will get the check if it is yours.

    Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:15 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

  • OP here- The check was dated about 3 weeks ago. And grandpa is a major a**hole. My DH explained we needed the money but he won't budge. He's not hurting for money. He has a trust fund. He has 3 apartments that he rents out. And he's on social security. He's just being a greedy &*(^.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:15 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

  • Then your DH needs to contact the IRS and let them know that 1) The check was sent to the wrong house. 2) that the person how received it is withholding it from you. They might be able to issue you a NEW check to the correct address. Just contact the IRS and let them know.

    Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 6:28 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

  • Why did the grandfather open it anyhow? Isn't that mail fraud? Maybe DH should tell him if he doesn't give it to him he'll report him for mail fraud.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:43 PM on Jun. 8, 2010