4 year old and a root canal?

My dd had a dentist visit today and we were told she needed a baby root canal on one of her teeth, so she has an appointment scheduled for sat. but i am really nervous about this. is there other options? plus they wanted us to sign a form saying they had permission to restrain her! i would think sedation is a better route to go with something like this. (by the way my dd is terrified of needles/dental tools, we had to fight just for the dentist to get the pick in her mouth)

nickellmomof2

Asked by nickellmomof2 at 6:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Causes of tooth decay in children are the same as in adults, but occurs more quickly. Being very small in size, decay reaches the nerve of a primary tooth very fast. Decay of the primary teeth indicates that the child is susceptible to tooth decay and requires proper attention to maintain a healthy dentition. It does not mean that the permanent teeth will also get decayed.

So, Anonymous. Shut your trap. This child could have the best home/dental care and in a 6th month time between appointments this tooth could have decayed.

MKsGrammie

Answer by MKsGrammie at 7:38 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• How on earth does a 4 year old need a root canal? My guilt would be eating me alive.
    Anonymous

• They had to do that to my grandson. I just don't see it. They are baby teeth. Why a root canal? I would do sedation too. The trauma of being restrained is too much for little ones. I'm still terrified of dentists bc of them holding me down working on my teeth. I'd call another ped dentist and just ask if there is another option or what will happen if you do nothing?

Answer by admckenzie at 6:38 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• If it is a baby tooth you are talking about. Just tell them to pull it out. The adult tooth will come in eventually.
    Why would she need a root canal anyways At 4?

Answer by louise2 at 6:38 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• you know.... I don't understand your sadness. I just can't. She has to be restrained now, because she has a root canal. Unless there was a medication causing the decay, it's presumably diet/drink/bottle related. That's your fault. Let them do their jobs! U didn't do yours, now she'll be traumatized and restrained. Congratulations. U think being sedated will be easier for her? Or easier for you to have to watch?

Was this her 1st dental visit? Likely. Are you seeing a pediatric dental specialist? Doubt it.
    Anonymous

• and oh, if she'd been going to the dentist regularly since 6 months old like you're supposed to, she'd be familiar w/ dental tools and it'd be no big deal. Also her mouth must hurt. And they're sticking tools in it.... would you sit back and chill if your tooth and gum was rotting and someone was picking at it? Unlikely.
    Anonymous

• she apparently has a cavity that they say is bad enough, but she has never complained about pain and when she had her teeth checked at dr. visits during yearly physicals they never said anything about it. (the dentist wouldn't even see her until she was 4) it can't be pulled because it is a molar and isn't suppose to come out until she's 10-12 it not being there will interfere with spacing in adult teeth.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 6:43 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Just ignore the judgemental woman who think they are better than everyone else. GL hun
    Anonymous

• **slaps self in face** if the dentist wouldn't see her til she was 4, after all her teeth and 2 yr molars were in, that didn't seem a little odd to you? and you've never read or seen the hundreds of thousands of dollars in advertising to get your kids into a dentist once their 1st tooth erupts, or at least by their 1st birthday?

waiting.... causes damage. and now here you are.

PS her pediatrician wasn't checking her teeth. he/she was checking jaw, tongue, tonsils. They assume a mother gets their child regular dental care. Ooops... their bad!
    Anonymous

Most dentist son't see kids until at least the age of 4. Every doctor I have called around her wont see them under 4 years I only found one that sees them at 12 months. I have never seen or found a doctor that sees them as early as 6 months
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 6:50 PM on Jun. 8, 2010