Cracked heels?

I get really bad cracked heels and currently have a crack on my heel that has gotten extremely hard and is turning black. I don't know if it's infected or if that's just dirt (I promise I shower everyday and wash my feet, LOL) because I wear sandals all the time when the weather is warm (I know, not the best thing for my feet). I think I need to see a doctor about it, but I just want to be sure I go to the right one so I'm not wasting money paying for one that says s/he can't do anything for me. I think a podiatrist is out. I was treated by one for other foot issues and when I asked about doing something for my cracked heels, he said he didn't know. So a general MD? A dermatologist?

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 6:46 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Health

• What the hell do doctors know anymore?! lol Wow, I can't believe that they didn't know what to do?!
    Ok, so I get really bad cracked heels because I wear filp flops all YEAR ROUND! lol I love them...even if it' 10 below! lol
    Go to walgreens, walmart, or somewhere and buy a pumus stone. You can find them in the lotion/cosmetic/shower are of a pharmacy/drugstore/large retail chain. Make sure you have some good lotion like jergens, aveeno or oil of olay.
    At the END of your shower/bath when your feet are really supple and soft because of the water, scrub the heck out of them with the pumus stone. Be gentle around your really bad cracks, and make sure when your scrubbing around them , you go parallel with the crack not across the crack. SCRUB SCRUB SCRUB. Your going to want to do this EVERY TIME you shower....EVERYDAY. After your shower before your feet dry out all the way, but after you have towel dried them lather them up
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 6:55 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I am thinking dermatologist. Call and ask the office, they'll know or will be able to find out if their office is the right place or what other doctor would be the one.

Answer by Bmat at 6:50 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I do my own pedicures. I bought one of those things that you can scrape your own feet and do it myself. i bought one of those things that you can soak your feet in too.

Answer by louise2 at 6:57 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• cont. lather them up with your good lotion and PUT SOCKS ON until they dry out a bit. Feel free to lotion them at different times during the day as well. At night, lotion them up before you go to bed, then when the lotions dried out a bit put pure VASOLINE/PETROLIUM jelly on them and PUT SOCKS on for the night! I hate wearing socks, but within a week you will totally see a difference in your feet! Keep doing this until your cracks are gone. Then after that, maintain your feet by using the pumus stone at least every other day, and lotioning your feet after your showers.
    As for the black, it could be dirt or it could be an infection. If it's red around the crack and painful, then it's most definitely an infection and you should see a podiatrist (sp?). If you use your pumus stone and it lightens then it's just dirt. GL! Hope this helps! Lemme know if it's workin' for you!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 7:00 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Hmm?? How about an Orthopedic Surgeon. First, Buy a good foot cream. Burts Bees makes one. Put the cream on every night & morning and wear socks & sneakers during the day. It will take a while but with socks & sneakers during the day they will heal. It is because you are wearing sandals a lot.
    Anonymous

• I use to have cracked feet too,you need to buy some olive oil and apply this onto your heels and wrap them up overnight with saran wrap and put on some socks.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 7:21 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• corn huskers lotion works really well. it's what my mom uses on her feet and she has that problem.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:25 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• the part is black b/c of the dirt/flipflop. it sucks tho huh? my heels are really bad, but the ball of my foot is the WORST! it looks like scales on a fish basically- cuts that i cant take off, but wont reattach to my foot! lol i totally agree about scrubbing the foot with the stone thing- mine is a POS, but it gets the dirt/blackness off of my foot. but i do it during the shower.. and then afterwards, i have a lotion that i put on my feet thats for cracked skin. and after that i put on these socks that kinda have lotion in them. its weird- but it makes my feet softer.. but it gets really hot! i got them at walmart, but it kinda looks like these--

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=11252141

just remember to do it after every shower! i forgot to do it today adn my feet are getting a little rough.
    Shy_Dia

Answer by Shy_Dia at 7:31 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I have a couple of pumice stones, but I guess I haven't been using them right (and didn't think to use them everyday). I will try that. But wait until after the cracks heal? I have corn huskers lotion too at work (for my hands, but it never seems to help long term, LOL), so I will bring it home and try it as well. I will try everything everybody suggested.

Oh and the heel in that area (and on my foot pad) is really sore, but not red. I thought maybe I had a heel (bone) spur because I had plantar facilitis before and I was doing a lot of walking the last couple of weeks for exercise (I haven't had problems with my feet for a long time, other than the cracked heels).
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 7:43 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• you may get pain and no redness because the crack is deep...it's the same thing as a cut on your finger...the deeper it is the worse it's going to hurt, and especially everytime you put pressure on it.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 9:26 PM on Jun. 8, 2010