wish me luck...

My dd has caused deep tissue bruises on my nipples, so she's going to take a bottle whether she wants to or not! still breastmilk, i have some stored and the pump is bearable, her nursing makes me want to cry. My doc says if i want the bruising to heal I have to give my breasts a break. Do you ladies have any suggestions on how to help her take a bottle or sippy cup for more than an ounce? Suggestions on how to help my nipples heal are also welcome :)

rhianna1708

Asked by rhianna1708 at 7:18 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Let her take an ounce at a time. NOTHING wrong with that. If she'll take an ounce, dandy.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:37 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I actually damaged myself with my breast pump. It took 36 hours to heal. Deep nasty purple bruising. I took arnica tablets and rubbed arnica oil over the nipple. I also heated the breast and hand expressed themilk to keep it from backing up. I nursed on the other side fine for the short time. I didn't have to worry about the bottle.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:24 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• She's actually bruised both sides, so just sticking with one isn't going to work. My pump is fine as long as it's on a very low setting. Thank you for the arnica suggestion, I will look for some at the health food store!
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 7:29 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I had issues with my DD taking the bottle (she was switched off the boob at 3 weeks) so I got a small bottle and put it between my boobs, she thought it was a third nipple and eventually, slowely moved her from my chest with the bottle. GL
    leslie_zoe2010

Answer by leslie_zoe2010 at 7:55 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• has a lactation consultant seen her latch? i had a few tongue tied babies, and once they were clipped their latch was much better. i wish you the best of luck mama!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:11 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Her latch is great, she's teething and not being very nice to me about it. Thanks, ladies for the suggestions :)
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 10:12 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• http://www.drjacknewman.com/

How old is she?    
    You could try soothing her gums with something cool before nursing.   Have you tried a different nursing position?   Does she bite at the beginning or end of a feed?  

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:55 PM on Jun. 8, 2010