How can I get my hubby to stop doing that?

Our daughter is 5 and she's generally a very well-behaved girl. She listens well, she's kind, she follows the rules of the house.. But she's always asking for new stuff and hubby always gets her what she wants. This month he got her 18 pretty pricey presents. I think it's WAY too much and if she gets used to have everything she asks for we'll never be able to say no without drama.

I've talked to him and I've told him the fact we can afford to buy her whatever she wants doesn't mean we should. But he won't listen. He's an AMAZING father- he's sweet but also firm. That's the only thing he does wrong.

How do I get him to stop?

pipermomofash

Asked by pipermomofash at 7:55 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• She will only be little once. Let him spoil his baby girl :)
    Anonymous

• i usually get my son everything he wants at some point. I see nothing wrong with it. I don't run out and get it right away but he gets it. He is a good kid and he deserves it.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I am not saying my daughter doesn't diserve it. But she shouldn't be able to DEMAND at the age of 5..
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 8:00 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• If that's all he does wrong then leave it be you said you ave the money to do it then let it be.
    Anonymous

• If she is relating good behavior to the gifts is not a problem, if she is not I also agree with anon!

Answer by older at 8:01 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I've encountered your situation in the past also. It's hard to explain to your husband that his little princess needs to learn once in while daddy must say no. Believe me, we have gone over and over it. My daughter recently turned 8 and its the same thing but in less instances. He tells me that he only has one little princess and he is going to make the most of it while he can. I just sigh and explain to my daughter that daddy works very hard for the money he spends on her. To not take advantage of his love, but appreciate the love he gives so willingly and devotedly. She is beginning to realize. She loves her daddy very much. I don't criticize much because my father left when I was 3 years old. But she's living the dream childhood, I used to wish for when I was her age. It's not such a big deal. Sooner or later your daughter will be old enough to where you can explain why daddy splurges on her.
    Anonymous

• Thanks anon @ 8:04 that's really helpful. And talking to my daughter about it when she's a bit older is a great idea.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 8:07 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Yeah he is only spoiling his baby girl but you can remind him hey we can only do this for so long once she starts to understand slowly stop doing it. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 8:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• All you can do is talk to him about it, maybe set some boundaries on X amount of gifts a month, or spend less money & put more money in her college fund! Or your family savings account! Or try going OUT and DOING more with your child with the money (NOT saying your not already!!), its very hard not to spend $ on a child! I know we enjoy doing it too..

Is she greatful? Is she demanding (if so u have a good reason to stop all gift giving outside of holidays!)? Does she deal well with getting gifts she didnt want/ doesnt like? If she is gracious about it all then I wouldnt over stress about it now.. but would always be on the watchout..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• if she is demanding it and throwing hissy fits when being told no or if she doesnt get something right when she "demands" then she does have a problem and your dh should probably not do this so much. Maybe she needs to learn more of what no means
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2010