can i just not lift weights?

i want to lose weight.. from 30-60 lbs. I do have PCOS, not sure if it matters... but i am about to join a gym and i dont want to really do any weight lifting. at least not yet. Can i still lose the weight without doing any weight lifting? the only thing that cardio might not help with is my flabby arms, pretty sure at least!

but is my plan semi-okay? just do cardio for about 2-4 months (until i lose the 30 lbs, at least) then start with weight lifting?

Shy_Dia

Asked by Shy_Dia at 8:22 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• i would start running with weights. like 3-5 lb hand weights.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:24 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• It sounds ok to me, but you can at least do some light free weights to help with flabbiness.

Answer by older at 8:25 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Sure you can. You may not look as toned, though.
    FrogSalad

Answer by FrogSalad at 8:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• it really is best to get an all around fitness regime going. the machines really aren't that bad... in fact, they can be pretty fun!
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 8:39 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Cardio will get the weight off. Weight training will help tone muscle and keep the weight off. If you want long-lasting results, you should do the weights, too. But doing just cardio to begin with will jump-start the process, at least.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 8:46 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Cardio is for cardio. Weight training builds muscle mass which burns fat. Start small. I only use 3 lb weights and resistance bands and have lost 50 lbs without any major workouts. I do stretches but no aerobics.
    Anonymous

• i think you are fine to start with cardio and work the weights in later. you will still be building muscle, you are lifting your own weight. if you don't mind me asking...why is it you want to put off the weights?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:53 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• i tried to do the weights earlier today,but it got boring. like really, really boring. the only one i enjoyed was the leg press one, but i dont really care whether my legs get the muscle/weight work out. just my arms, but all the arm machine ones were really boring. i would have more fun doing them at home, with the 6 lb weights, with different arm curls, lifts, etc. than at the gym... if nothing else, when i join, i get like 3 session with a personal trainer and they might be able to direct me to what i have to do.
    Shy_Dia

Answer by Shy_Dia at 10:15 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Cardio is the ONLY way to lose weight. Lifting weights only helps stregthen and tone the muscles. It won't help your flabby arms, it won't help your dimply butt, it won't help you lose any weight. All it does is work the muscles. Do Cardio to lose the weight. To strengthen and tone your body to get that flab under control do Pilates and Yoga. The three of those are better then lifting weights anyday.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:47 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• you may enjoy free weights better than the machines. you also may want to change things every couple of weeks. i like to look for the challenge in things. focus on good form, tightening your abs when you lift, breathing properly...increasing weight over time, and increasing reps over time. you can even do weights while standing on those wobble boards for extra ab work.
    you will be doing great by going to the gym. if you are more comfortable doing weights at home, then that is fine! if it is boredom holding you back, then you may want the trainer to give you exercises that do not involve the machines...they tend to be self explanatory.
    most of all have fun and take pride on your journey to better health!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:08 AM on Jun. 9, 2010