Pull Ups

Would you or did you push your pre-schooler to stop wearing pull ups at night. My daughter is 4 and completely potty trained but she insists she is not ready to sleep in underpants at night because she is afraid to wet the bed. I have explained that we can try to help by not drinking at night and that accidents happen and are no big deal. Should I back off and wait a little longer or until she is ready?

dharmagirl

Asked by dharmagirl at 8:35 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i wouldnt push her not too. my dd couldnt wait to get out of them. it would be better than cleaning up an accident at 3 am.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:37 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Wait until she is ready!!

My daughter is 4 and is not even close to being ready to stop wearing Pull-Ups at night. We hold off giving her much liquids after dinner and yet she still wakes up with it wet every single morning.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:48 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I only did pull ups BRIEFLY. i did nooooo liquids 2 full hours before bed..... including teeth brushing water. Trust in her bladder muscles to do the right thing. And no parent gets away with never having to clean a few accidents. Good luck..... get some special bedtime only undies, shorts, PJ's or something
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:49 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I'm not a pull up's fan myself, but if she is comfortable with them, I wouldn't push.. her.

You can ask her every night if she want's to try underpants, but I would leave it up to her to decide.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:07 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• We never used pull ups because I didn't want my kids to become reliant on them. We went straight from diapers to cloth training pants, so they could feel when they were wet. Is she dry in the mornings? If she is, then she's ready to wear underpants at night. If she's uncomfortable with the idea, put a waterproof sheet underneath the fitted sheet of her bed with another fitted sheet underneath. If she wets, then all you have to do is pull off the top fitted sheet and the waterproof sheet and put her back in bed with a clean pair of underpants.

Answer by missanc at 9:21 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I would wait till she asks to do it herself... I bet she will. I had the opposite issue... my dear, sweet now-3-year old who has been completely day trained for ages has gone through all sorts of phases of wanting to sleep in underwear... she does okay now if we wake her once to pee, but for awhile we were trying to set an alarm for 3, not worth it, especially since it just didn't work. (She's one of those kids whose body just doesn't wake her when her bladder is full). Her little sister has actually also given up underwear, but although she's younger, she has a much better track record. If your daughter is fearful about wetting the bed, why not keep the pull-up, but then congratulate her for having a dry pull-up (and mention milestones, like "wow, your pull-up has been dry for a whole week"). My guess is she'll want to give them up on her own soon enough. As long as she's not peeing in them out of convenience, no problem.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:23 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I'd wait until the pull up is dry every morning. That's what I did with my son and he was out of nighttime pull ups a few months before he turned 3, about 3 months after he day trained. I just asked him if he was ready to sleep in undies and he said he'd try. I imagine it's going to be harder with your daughter since she's older and would probably be ashamed if she wet the bed but she'll get there.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 5:20 PM on Jun. 9, 2010

• I didn't push it. When I noticed a consistent pattern of her waking up dry, I stopped the pull ups at night. I also don't allow any drinks one hour prior to bedtime.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 7:42 PM on Jun. 9, 2010