I think I have blood in my breast milk...

I haven't had the baby yet,(34 weeks) but I leak from time to time and the other night I had a white shirt on and it looked a little bloody. Is it normal or could there be something wrong with my breast milk?

And can I still BF if I have blood in the milk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• what?! lol Are you sure you weren't wearing a red shirt? LOL Uhm....I don't think that's possible. Go to your OB...
    Anonymous

• Sometimes the stuff that comes in before the milk, which is what leaks during pregnancy and the baby nurses off of in the first few days and darn it if I can't think of what it's called, has a little bit of a brownish tinge to it. Especially when it dries.

What the heck is that called?? Now it's going to bother me...
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:40 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• While BF with one of my kids I got a clocked duct and then when I got it unclogged it bled a little. It was ok. Plus sometimes when you start BF your nipples are so damn sore and raw they bleed then too. It's okay, it's not like you're gushing blood or anything. But I didn't "leak" before I had either baby.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:41 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• What the heck is that called?? Now it's going to bother me...

I know I can't think of it either!
    Anonymous

• colostrum!
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:43 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• colostrum!!! That's what it's called!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:43 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Jennifer you beat me to it!! LOL! Thanks! (I'm embarrassed that I had to Google it, it's been a long day...)
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:44 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I actually leaked blood while pregnant, and had blood in my colustrum. It's a "condition" called Rusty Pipes, and is just from some slight internal bleeding as your body is trying to quickly build those milk ducts - nothing life threatening or horrible.

Basically, if you still have it when baby is born, you just BF anyway, and it should clear up on it's own within a week. It looked a little gross, but wasn't a problem at all for my baby.

You can always ask your doc, or lactation consultant to confirm if this is what you have, and/or give you more info about it.

mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 11:21 PM on Jun. 8, 2010