Why is it?

Why is it that when someone claims to hear voices we medicate them and label them "mental." But when someone says they hear God we call them blessed?

Why I ask... I was reading another question where someone said that Jesus speaks to her. My first reaction was "When Jesus start's talking to you it's time for more pills..." But then I thought about it, who am I to say whether or not Jesus (God or any other spiritual being) is or isn't speaking to this woman... I mean, I believe in many Gods, Goddesses and other spirits, so why couldn't they be talking to us? But coming from a family with schizophrenics in it, I tend to think illness first - now I'm wondering why do we just automatically label people as "ill" when they hear voices? What if it is god?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 9:40 PM on Jun. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe everyone has the ability to talk to God. But for personal revelation only. If they start saying off the wall things, then I wonder what the crap is going on.
    Anonymous

• PS. I don't think that God would stop talking to them if they were on medication. Therefore....I would think then too, that they are crazy...
    Anonymous

• Depends on what the voices are like. If they're screaming at you to do or say something horrible, then they're probably not from God.
    Anonymous

• I think this is a very valid argument. One in which I have not educated rebuttal to, so I'm not going to speculate on this one. Just wanted to say interesting question. I wonder as well.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:44 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• my DH works w/ schizophrenics and he's told me before it has to do w. what the voices are telling you to do (if anything). if the voices are positive and bring you joy then they are fine. its when they tell you to hurt others or destroy things or interfere negatively in your life that one is deemed "crazy" and medicated. so even if someone claims God is speaking to them, but God is telling them to kill people, he's crazy. but if God is just telling him that things are going to be okay or that he is doing a great job, he's not crazy.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:46 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• but what if you are the one "god' has chosen to kill the baby just born down the street, because he knows in 30 years he'll be a mass murderer? are you crazy if that's what your "god" told you to do? Isn't that possible? because it's all in "his" plan? whatever....It's bull. People who have invisible beings talk to them is bull.
    Anonymous

• I'm not saying I don't believe in mental illness - I'm bipolar. But I guess I'm just wondering where should we draw the line? And if we medicate them and the voices don't stop does that mean they need more meds? Different meds? Or that it's God? Who can really make that distinction? Throughout history this has come up over and over again - A perfect example was Joan Of Arc, she believed she heard the voice of God, the church believed she was possessed, historians believe she was high, many doctors think she was just ill... So who can really make that distinction?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:47 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Lol i was thinking about something similar to this earlier.
    Why is it that we believe all the men who wrote the bible who said "God spoke to me and said I need to write this and it needs to be put in the book." But nowadays if someone says the same thing we would put them in the mental institute.

So how do we know the people back then weren't crazy or the people now are not.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 9:48 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• Personally, I don't think we medicate all voices. Hearing God IS hearing voices. Your stereotype is very big and you generalize much
    Anonymous

• I think it sounds crazy because God (or whoever) doesn't talk to everyone. I've had moments of intuition but never a voice in my head telling me things. My first instinct is "crazy",,, Whether that voice is in your head or mine. If she believes it's Jesus talking to her, I say great. I have a lot of questions. How do I get in touch? :)
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 9:53 PM on Jun. 8, 2010